question about crossing certin breeds White rocks and new hampshire reds.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chickenbatsht, Jan 21, 2013.

1. chickenbatsht

chickenbatsht Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2013
    ok so I have been looking to buy and breed golden comet chickens was told by a local feed store place you could breed then and get the babies to look like their parents only to find out if u do they wont be sex link (talk about a pain in the as).so Im thinking about getting 4 white rock hens an a new hampshire red rooster to get the golden comet chickens that I would like.but then I thought well if I want some white rock chicken and some new hampshire red chickens and not the crosses I could buy a rooster of each breed and 4 hens of each breed and only have 2 hen with the the white rooster and 2 hens with the red..then I started to think a lil more what would i get if i took a white rock rooster and mated him to the new hampshire red hens?..any one got any idea what would happen with that cross??

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

If the White Rock line you choose is silver based, you can make your own red sex links. Use the Golden gene rooster over the silver-white hen. The chicks would be sex links, the first generation only has that capability, of course. Breed the off spring and you'll get all kinds of interesting things. LOL
    You cannot use a White Rock over a red-gold bird to make sex links.

The trick is being sure of that White Rock line.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  3. chickenbatsht

Jan 21, 2013
    I already know white female + red male = red sex link.. but I was wonder over all what would a white male + a red female= a good egg layer what color ect ect.

4. Fred's Hens

Usually a white bird with lots of red and or black smut.

5. chickenbatsht

Jan 21, 2013
    would they be good egg layers?

6. Fred's Hens

As good as the parent stock would pass on.

7. chickenbatsht

Jan 21, 2013
    ok so then pretty good layer i take it..now here's a really good question I only want to get a small "flock" of laying hens atm 4 to be right how much room do I need to brood them in?..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by