Question about Cuckoo Maran and Barred Rocks.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jayon, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Jayon

Jayon Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2008
    Utah
    About 19 Weeks ago I bought 2 Cuckoo Marans and 2 Barred Rocks.
    I am %100 sure I have 1 Cuckoo Maran pullet but up until yesterday I though I had 3 Barred Rock Roosters. Now I am thinking I have 2 Cuckoo Maran Roosters and 1 Barred Rock rooster. The reason I am thinking this is 2 have white feet and 1 has yellow feet. From what I can tell from picture, the Marans should have the white feet the Barred Rock should have yellow ones. Is this correct? Is there any better way to determine between a Maran Roo and a Barred Rock roo. I am currently at work and will post pictures when I get home.

Thanks,
    Jonathan

Last edited: Aug 4, 2008
  2. Jayon

Jayon Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2008
    Utah
    Any help?

Jonathan

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

The marans will have a "messier" barring pattern than the barred rocks do. Pictures would help in id-ing them . You are right in the leg color. The roos are generally lighter in coloring than the pullets are.

4. Jayon

Jayon Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2008
    Utah
    K, thanks I will get pictures tomorrow.

Jonathan

5. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    You are correct about the legs, Marans have pinkish-white legs and BR's have yellow.

6. Jayon

Jayon Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2008
    Utah
    Here are three pictures of the 4. All but the obvious Cuckoo Maran Pullet do the other 2 with white feet look like Cuckoo Marans? Also do you think the 3 are roosters?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks,
    Jonathan

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I'd say the first is a marans pullet, the next 2 are Marans roos and the last looks like his legs are more yello so I'd say BR roo.

8. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    I agree; the first one looks just like my maran pullet 'Myrtle'--the others look like roos.

9. Jayon

Jayon Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2008
    Utah
    Thanks, I was pretty sure the first was a Maran Pullet just wasnt sure about the other two. Or if the 3 did infact look like roosters.

Thanks,
    Jonathan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by