question about curled extra toe

erzulieloo

Songster
8 Years
Jan 8, 2012
pinellas county, florida
hi!

I received a shipment of chicks last wednesday which included a blue favaucana. it has a curled toe, but it happens to be in the back.

she's big and strong and seems very healthy and doesn't have any trouble at all getting around. my question is this: i know i can splint curled toes. but how much do five toed chickens use the back toes? will she need it straight to grasp things or to get around? could it get caught on anything and possibly end up causing her harm?

also, is it too late to do in this, the second week of life?

i've never had to splint before and there's lots of info out there certainly but i didn't want to do it unless it was beneficial. i don't care at all how it looks.

advice from you five toed keepers?

thank you SO much!!

20171119_124332.jpg

Attachments

• 20171119_124341 (1).jpg
    20171119_124341 (1).jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 2
i have a hen with side toes curled and have to keep those nails clipped to prevent ankle cuts, she is more prone to bumble foot than those with normal toes.

This looks like the back toe and if continues to be that crooked will give her some handicap, but many have much worse and live long, healthy active lives.

I don't know if splinting will work, but worth a try -

But could you post a pic with her standing? chicken feet often look more curled when we pick them up.

thanks for the replies! very much appreciate it.

here's a pic of her standing on the foot, although it's not so clear. she wasn't interested in cooperation.
i have a hen with side toes curled and have to keep those nails clipped to prevent ankle cuts, she is more prone to bumble foot than those with normal toes.

This looks like the back toe and if continues to be that crooked will give her some handicap, but many have much worse and live long, healthy active lives.

But could you post a pic with her standing? chicken feet often look more curled when we pick them up.

kind blurry, but i hope it shows up well enough. it's her right foot.
20171121_215115.jpg

thank you. we'll try the splint.

Back
Top Bottom