question about D.E.

montanaSarah

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 22, 2011
i've been seeing a lot of posts about D.E. and was wondering what it is exactly, and should i be using it on a regular basis? my chickens are about 15 weeks and i haven't been using it so far...i know it's for pests and such. do i use it if i notice mites/pests, or should i be using it to prevent them?
thanks!
sarah

You can use it to prevent them. The dust kills the bugs. You can sprinkle it around the coop on bedding and in food (just make sure it is the food grade kind).

It's a preventative, mostly for surface mites (some people say it works for worms, I've personally seen no evidence that it does). Just shake it in their bedding and in their favorite dust bath spots.

Oh, and all over your potato plants, and squashes. It does wonders for potato beetles and squash bugs XD

I doubt that it would help. I believe squash vine borers get on the vine, then in the vine, from soil level. There used to be insecticides you could buy that you could put on the soil surface, or even mix it in a little when the plants are small, but they don't sell them any more, from what I see.

Make sure that you buy the FOOD GRADE DE. Not the pool variety.

I have been using it for several years. I sprinkle in the nest boxes, the pine shavings on the roosting board, floor, corners, even their feed.
There are people who stir it into their own food (yogurt, juice, etc), but I haven't tried that for myself.

It does help keep down the flies and seems to dry up the poo faster. I'm lucky that my feed store sells Codex Food Grade DE in the 50# bags.

Quote:
I don't suppose it works for squash vine borers? We get those every year and are about ready to give up growing zucchini anymore.

It will work on the borers too, just sprinkle it around the ground and a small amount on the leaves and you won't be having a problem. I grow squash as well and I put it in the garden too, it works very well. I keep reading how it doesn't work when it gets wet but it sure does work even wet! It's an ancient algae that's mined all around the world, even in the USA and they also harvest it from deep ancient lakes as well.

Back
Top Bottom