1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question about day old chick/poop

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BasicallyHeather, Nov 5, 2011.

1. BasicallyHeather

BasicallyHeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Lowellville, Ohio
    My chick hatched at ten pm last night. She/he has been drinking, but isn't interested in eating at all. She/he is still pretty tired, too. Anyway, the first poo was the bright green yolk poo, but every poo after that looks just like water. I am afraid that the poor thing is going to waste away if it doesn't eat soon. Is this normal? Should I worry about dehydration? Thanks!

Edit: Here's Sherlock [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  2. petejd

petejd Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2011
    Bluffton, SC.
    I'm not a professional by any means, but I think they are ok not eating for 48-72 hours after they hatch. They are still absorbing the yolk. Someone who hatches chicks will be able to answer for sure.

3. Five Dog Farm

Five Dog Farm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2011
    Your chick probably wont start eating until the second day. after that I dont worry about their poop for the first week.

4. Five Dog Farm

Five Dog Farm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2011
    Your chick probably wont start eating until the second day. after that I dont worry about their poop for the first week.

5. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    X2. Try not to worry until after 3 days. If you get chicks shipped in, they don't eat, they live off the yolk for the first few days.
    It's fine, no need to worry.

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

That's why hatcheries only ship chicks at a day old, because they're still living off the yolk nutrients and can go without food for a few days. Tomorrow, try several times "pecking" with your finger around crumbles on the floor/papertowel. He/she'll learn soon enough.

7. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    There is nothing wrong with putting a bit of water and show with your finger just like the crumbles try a dropper in the side of the beak just drops some vitamins in the water. [​IMG]

8. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Quote:x2

9. BasicallyHeather

BasicallyHeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Lowellville, Ohio
    Thank you all! Sherlock is friskier today, and has joined the other chicks that I picked up from Meyer on Halloween. They are all getting along great, and Sherlock seems to have learned that the crumbles are for eating [​IMG] Thanks for your patience with this first-time hatcher!

10. Tumbleweed Farm

Tumbleweed Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    Benton City, WA
    [​IMG]
    My 7 chicks now 3 wks old had the water poop for a day or two--think it's quite normal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by