Question about DE and masks

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by pattgal, Jul 22, 2010.

1. pattgal

pattgal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2010
    New Brunswick, Canada
    How come everytime I go in the shed/coop I feel all choked up for hours? (we use DE)
    I wear a mask wit a facecloth under it and still get affected? I am starting to get worried because isn't that stuff bad for your lungs?
    I heard somewhere it can become a disease (with no cure) is this true?

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    First, if you are using food-grade DE the only thing it can do to you is what any OTHER mineral dust can do to you (from a gravel road, etc), which is to say it isn't good for you to be breathing lots of but is not particularly dire in and of itself. OTOH if you are using NON food-grade DE (pool filter grade, or the stuff used for bug control in the garden) that *does* have an elevated risk of Bad Lung DIsease associated with it.

OTOH second it is silly (IMHO) to use DE in a way that causes it to produce coop dust. And if it isn't good for you, would it be good for the chickens? It is not magic fairy dust to shovel all 'round the place, it should be used in targeted ways (if you're using it at all, which is certainly not *required*) in limited amounts and in ways/places that do not result in it getting kicked up as dust.

On the OTHER other hand, it is quite common for people to have reactions to CHICKEN DUST, and I would bet that unless this problem you're having only started when you started using DE and did not exist during previous coop care, it is quite likely a reaction to the chicken dust not the DE (unless you are seriously keeping hte DE industry in business). A lot of people are allergic, or become allergic.

There are also lung diseases you can get *from the cioop dust* (having nothing to do with DE), such as histoplasmosis, but they are significant chronic things not just last-for-a-few-hours.

Bottom line, if you are having trouble, do something about it -- 1) rethink coop management to create as low-dust a coop as possible, and 2) wear a GOOD mask (that fits tightly with no gapping and has a very small particle-size rating), not one of those five-for-$3 cheapie things that really do very little at all except provide their manufacturers with steady income and keep small birds from flying up your nose [​IMG]

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

3. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    I heard somewhere it can become a disease (with no cure) is this true?

It's called Silicosis: It's scientifically proven, so I guess many won't believe it [​IMG]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicosis

4. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    keep small birds from flying up your nose

LOL Good one!​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by