question about de beaked chickens (not sure if I posted in right spot)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by swtangel321, Jul 18, 2008.

1. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    I got 4 hens today, when I went to pick them up i asked the man how many he had, he told me about 200 - 250 so I understand why he de beaked them or they were de beaked, 2 of them just have there top beak done and the other 2 have both cut, looks weired and mean !!!! my question is will they grow back to a normal beak or will they stay that way? We don't de beak any of our chickens/chicks i think its kinda mean and noone seems to have a problem pecking each other, also will them being de beaked affect them eating ??

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:No, it will not grow out (assuming this is a significant 'real' debeaking, not just a tip trim - and 'real' debeaking sounds likelier in this situation).

Over the next year or two the top and bottom will naturally wear to become a bit more matching, although never normal.

I have 2 (formerly 3) debeaked ISA Browns bought ready-to-lay at the feedstore, and while I would never buy another debeaked hen, they really do pretty well. The only problem they have in eating is that they can't pick small particles of food off a hard surface. But as long as they've got a decent depth of feed in the feeder, or are eating stuff off a lawn or other '3D' type surface, they seem to do just fine.

Good luck,

Pat

3. Riparian

Riparian Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Ontario Canada
    Thats sad. :|

4. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Thanks Pat, I'm 99.9% sure it's a real debeaking job.... I usally throw about 2-3 cups of chicken food out in the pen for them during the day... They do have a bowl of food in the coop (where they go at night) but noone seems to use it !!!! Should I put a bowl of food out in the pen or will they be ok picking it off the soft dirt ground ? Also I feed a layer pellet and cracked corn will they be ok on that or do I need to buy a chicken mash (which I would rather not do) i have to say it's pretty sad watching them eat, but at that point after I drove an hour and a half to the crap hole where none of the chickens I belive were ever outside (even more sad) the kid took my 2 boxed and loaded them up, if it wasn't for my hubby I would of never known they were till I got em home. Guess they are better here with me than there, they get to go outside and be "real" chickens.... Let me know what I should do, Thanks !!!

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:They may have trouble picking food up off hard-packed run dirt, but I'd say the sensible thing is to just wait and see. When you get them in the run, chuck them some food and see how much they can pick up [​IMG] I'd say though that you may end up putting a feeder out there to make sure they're getting enough to eat (I wouldn't personally just put a bowl, as it is going to get rained on and pooed on and probably tipped over if yours are anything like mine [​IMG])

Mine do just fine on pellets and scratch (mine also get lots of table and garden scraps [​IMG]), I can't see why you'd need to go to mash.

I hope you are isolating them from your other chickens for a month or so first, though?

Good luck,

Pat

6. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    My red star hen that I 'rescued' is the same way. Its alittle harder for her to pick up corn and stuff off the flat ground but shes definitely fat and healthy! Its sad that someone would this to her beak, She is such a sweetheart.

She a really pretty girl except for her beak and gives us an egg a day!...

[​IMG]

7. chicksinthemachine

chicksinthemachine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Henley,MO
    Awesome pic! I had no idea people did this to their chickens! I understand but it is sad.

8. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    I think the hatcheries do it when they are a day old. They burn the top and bottom off with a hot metal blade. It really mean and sad...

9. kellim

kellim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    SC, GA Border
    Oh my goodness! That is terrible. Who would do that to a chicken? Yay for you for giving them a loving home! [​IMG]

10. Nutty4Chickens

Nutty4Chickens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    This may seem like a strange question, but does anyone know if an older 5 or 6 month old roo can get it's beak clipped? I agree that it is mean, but I ask because it seems that if I don't come up with a solution for his agressive pecking (drawing blood from me) he will end up in a pot. Everyone I have asked to take him say they will cook him if he is mean. I work with him every day, I carry him around, pet his ears (he seems to love it, he half closes his eyes). Then I put him down and he walks away nicely, but later, he will lunge and bite me and draw blood. Of course, I pick him up and grab his wattles to let him know I am Alpha. I don't want to give up on him yet. I just figured if his beak was clipped he would realize that he cant peck and bite at me any more. Any advice??[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by