Question about DE

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Trish1974, Aug 28, 2016.

1. Trish1974

Trish1974 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2016
    North Central IN
    Through reading several articles here regarding DE (Diatomaceous Earth), I have learned it does not do well with moisture. I mixed some in the dust bath spots for my girls on Friday morning, just as a preventative measure (also sprinkled in the coop). They haven't wanted anything to do with their 2 dust bath spots since, and yesterday we got a heavy downpour out of the blue. Is it safe to assume the DE is no longer effective since it was rained on? Also, any idea why they have avoided the spots since?

2. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi! [​IMG]

Dirt bathing on it's own has always been adequate for us. I prefer not to use or BREATH de. Wood ash works well.

But as to your question, I think that DE is a solid and I don't believe it is water soluble. It is like little rocks formed from skeletons of sea creatures (I believe) that have been fossilized. I would think it should still be effective for bug deterrent when it is dry again.

However, since your chickens don't seem to like it, if you don't have issues, why continue to use it?

To help dry thing out in my coop I use Sweet PDZ ($17 for 40#). It is amazing what it does to the smell in there and in my goat barn!

Since you are preventing something you may not have.... I say let it go! But in a friendly way, not a "my way is the right way". [​IMG]

3. Trish1974

Trish1974 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2016
    North Central IN
    Thank you Eggsighted4life!

4. worms7

worms7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2015
    england
    I am doing a deep litter meathod
    with wood shavings can i put a
    couple of handfuls of Damascus earth now & again
    cheers Phil

5. EggSighted4Life

I don't knock people who do use DE. Everybody has different experiences and expectations in life. And what works for one person in their location might not work for another at a different location. But I like to see both side of the story even if I may not agree. I keep an open mind when presented with facts. Maybe you will still get more input. These threads fly by on the main page and sometimes may not be seen by too many people.

And not ALL natural products are safe. Just as a general statement.

Sounds like you are proactive in caring for your flock. So I am sure they will live the good life with you![​IMG]

Although I generally subscribe to the notion that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, I always have to weigh the pluses and minuses and choose the lesser of the evils.

Best wishes!

1 person likes this.
  6. EggSighted4Life

DE will kill worms or other bugs that are there to decompose the deep litter. And the chickens like to eat those worms and bugs. Do you put your compost in your deep litter?

Also, be careful what shaving you use. Another thread someone just lost 2 birds to asperiligius (spelling) fungus because of wood chips. Pine shavings should be fine.

1 person likes this.
  7. worms7

worms7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2015
    england
    So I won't use De as it kills the
    good stuff I will only use in nest
    box on top of shavings
    cheers Phil

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by