Question about DE?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by bethandjoeync, Apr 10, 2009.

1. bethandjoeync

bethandjoeync Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Iron Station, NC
    Ok so we keep hearing about all this stuff DE is good for and we are getting some this weekend we actually found a place locally that sales the food and feed grades. Anyway would DE do anything to help with termites or any woodboring insect. We heard about people using it as a white wash and I thought about doing that on the inside walls of my crawl space to control any bugs. just curious if it would do anthing to termites.

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Ok, So let me first say I know nothing about termites, but from what I've read here DE works by cutting the exoskeleton on insects. So I see no reason it wouldn't work for termites. Also most people here say DE is more of a preventative rather than a cure, so it may provide a barrier. Hope this will bump this thread, so someone with more termite experience will chime in. Good luck.

Imp/Russ

3. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    Quote:Don't see why it would not work..... hope someone else can help you, I only use it in the stables where I keep my hens... but they dont have anything nasty crawling on them, so it does work.. good luck

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Makes sweeping and mopping the linoleum floor on my coop a breeze!

5. bethandjoeync

bethandjoeync Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Iron Station, NC
    thanks for the input. Yeah i will be using it to try and prevent them. I used to be an exterminater and i learned a few tricks about termites and other insects on how to get rid of them. I was able to get rid of all my carpenter bees a couple years ago with some other stuff but it wasnt DE. I just know termites need alot of moisture in their bodies and thought maybe the DE getting under their exoskeloton may kill or deter them from my home. I hope someone else has some advice as well please lrt me know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by