1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question about DE ?!?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by havi, May 26, 2008.

1. havi

havi [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Si

Mar 23, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    Ive looked all around for DE and there was only one store that carried it. I called and asked if this was the food grade DE and he acted as if there is only one kind of DE. I am new to this and wanted to make sure I am using the right thing with my chickens. I want to use it in there bedding and maybe in their feed sometimes(worms and whatnot). I also plan on using this around my yard/garden for bugs and other things. Here is a picture of the front of the bag. Is this the correct DE?

[​IMG]

2. kees

kees Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    That's a good question. Perhaps you can call the company and ask tomorrow. There is not only one kind of DE. It's also used for filtering the water in swimming pools and aquariums.

3. havi

Mar 23, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    Quote:Theres no one to call. I tried asking the guy that sold it to me and he told me this was the correct kind. Although in all the other pictures of DE I see there is never any clay in it. So...Im not sure.

4. spatcher

spatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Virginia - Southside
    Because of the words"2% in diet", I would think that it is food grade. However, the decision is yours to make. If that was all I could get,I personally would use it.

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    It's what I use (in fact it's probably the same brand [​IMG]). It is, after all, sold for the express purpose of adding to feedstuffs to prevent caking - see the label. I would be pretty darn sure it's food grade.

JMO,

Pat

6. GlacierNan

GlacierNan Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2008
    Colorado
    There is a web sit for this, but of course I can't remember it. Google the name. I thought it looked like great stuff!

7. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Please forgive this newbie question, but what exactally is the purpose of DE? I read about it all the time here but am not sure the purpose. Should I be using it?

8. havi

Mar 23, 2008
    Waco, Texas
  9. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Thanks! I am going there now!![​IMG]

10. southsidesouth

southsidesouth New Egg

Apr 20, 2008