Question about debeaked chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rcentner, Aug 18, 2010.

1. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    So, I hear they do not grow back, that's sad.
    I have 2 hens in quarantine right now cause I just got them last week , I wondered if it was normal for them to have dirt on their nostrils since the nostrils are so much closer to the ground when they peck? Or should I be worried about nasal discharge causing the dirt to stick there. They are in a very dusty run, btw. any ideas?

2. rcentner

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    anyone?

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

My girls HAVE beaks, and STILL get dirt around and in their nostrils from rooting around, so it's not just because your run is dusty or because your girls are basically beakless (which IS sad...you're right). So I really woudn't worry about the dirt.

4. cletus the rooster

cletus the rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

i have had mine for about a year and half and have had no problems.2 very sweet golden comets that run the whole flock(up to 43 right now) [​IMG] debeaking is wrong

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  5. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Quote:It is done for a purpose which is to prevent pecking and cannibalism in birds that are kept in crowded conditions. At times it is warranted such as when you have an aggressive group of birds who cannot be stopped from brutalizing their weaker/more submissive coop mates. It is utilized far too often, however. It is a brutal procedure that causes a lifetime of pain for the recipient. I think too many people forget that chickens are not just egg-laying machines, but animals with feelings like any other living creature. De-beaking is an easy fix to a complex problem, so it is used more than it should be. It's only wrong when it's used as the first fix and not as the last resort.

(I should mention before I get screamed at that I am against de-beaking, have never done it to any of my birds and never intend to do it. I will cull aggressive birds before I put them through such a procedure. I understand the need for it at times, though. Some will think I am more barbaric for killing a bird just because it's a little ill-tempered rather than saving it by de-beaking it.)

6. cletus the rooster

cletus the rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

so you are saying we should cut your fingertips off so you wont scratch somebody?there is a reason for the pecking as you stated,so correct the problem.it is animal cruelty

7. rcentner

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    well, the leghorns were taken out of quarantine last night and put with my standard size flock....they are doing very well. Now to name them!

8. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Quote:(I should mention before I get screamed at that I am against de-beaking, have never done it to any of my birds and never intend to do it. I will cull aggressive birds before I put them through such a procedure. I understand the need for it at times, though. Some will think I am more barbaric for killing a bird just because it's a little ill-tempered rather than saving it by de-beaking it.)

Totally agree. There are far worse things out there than humanely killing a bird. I would rather see a chicken humanely killed than debeaked...

And OP: Glad to hear things are going okay for the newbies so far...

Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  9. rcentner

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    I feel kinda bad cause they can't peck back at the other hens, but they are very used to being with lots of chickens and are doing great. I think my meaner hens are stunned that they don't care about being pecked. All the other hens that run across them squwak and run away and these leghorns are like "whatever". Maybe this will help the mean ones realize they don't have to be that way. [​IMG]
    well, they are not totally mean, just more assertive than the others [​IMG]
    my wyandotte roo loves them, he looks very proud standing next to them.

They make different noises than my other chickens, almost like turkeys...I wonder if it's cause they were raised around turkeys (and peafowl and goats and pheasant and....)

so now I guess the title of this post is "questions and comments about leghorns" oops

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by