1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question about designing automated waterer

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Gatorfreak, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Gatorfreak

Gatorfreak Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2012
    I have a water spigot near my coop. If I run a hose to some PVC with poultry nipples and have the spigot barely turned on, would the nipples hold in the water until the chickens drink it or would it they constantly drip out?

I know the nipples can hold in some pressure from the designs I've seen online that are gravity-fed with a large bucket higher up. I was thinking I could have the spigot set to just dripping and it would be pretty well automated.

2. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    If the water isn't being used the pressure will equalize even if you set the faucet to just drip. Depending on the design of the nipples they will start to drip when it reaches the pressure it starts to leak.

3. Gatorfreak

Gatorfreak Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2012
  4. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    That will work.

5. DGuy

DGuy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2013
    Tampa, FL
    Probably won't work. The waterers need to be 5 psi or less

6. Odon

Odon Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2013
    Gatorfreak, take a look at thethirstybird.com, that's what I use and I have not had to clean a water bowl in over one year. Mine has been through two winters and no problems, I live in N. California near Redding where it can get into the low 20's and teens at times. Mine is inside the coop and the girls love it and I never have to worry that they will be without water. My new chicks are using The Thirsty Chick and they started drinking from it the minute I hung it up for them so they will never drink dirty water or possibly drown in the old waterer's I was using. Hope this helps.

7. Rich386

Rich386 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    Live Oak, FL
    Here is my answer to the pressure problem. Not pretty but has been in operation for over two years. Never cleaned or repaired!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2013
  8. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    I am assume you have it connect to water line. You can test the pressure by yourself.

1) Turn the water drip the way you like
    2) Attach the short hose & nozzle and leave over night
    3) Squiz the nozzle in 24-48hrs later and see if you have a lot of pressure. Also compare pressure with water completely turn ON.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  9. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    The nipples have a tendancy to leak after use. One thing that can help is reducing the pressure going to them. I got tired of the puddles and switched to waterer cups and have not had any water on the ground since.
    [​IMG]

10. Rich386

Rich386 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    Live Oak, FL
    You can not just let the water drip and use any nipple made to work on gravity system. Eventually the pressures will equalize in my case it is about 60lb. You can buy a pressure regulator but a good one is not cheap. My suggestion to you would be to install a toilet flush valve ( The low profile type $12.00 at Lowe's ) in your pail and connect that to your hose. Mine is the same principal but made from recycled toilet tank. TOTAL COST ABOUT $20.00 I have 50+ hens and have not touched it in two years.

[​IMG]
    THE TANK INLET TO FLOAT OR FLUSH VALVE LEFT
    LINE TO THE NIPPLES CENTER

[​IMG]
    HORIZONTAL POULTRY WATERING NIPPLES
    EASY CLEAN & DON'T LEAK

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by