Question about deworming birds.

Sylviaanne

Crowing
7 Years
Sep 17, 2012
Ozark, MO
I think I read somewhere someone asking if the eggs of hens being dewormed could be hatched. I'd like to know the answer to this because if they can, the eggs wouldn't be wasted.

Also, I read that the eggs, during the deworming, can be fed back to the chickens but my question is, wouldn't that make the length of time for not eating eggs longer because the eggs treated with the dewormer would be putting dewormer back into the chicken?

LOL Was that clear as mud? Thanks.

LOL That was an awkward question for me to ask.

What I meant is do you think the worms the chicks would get would be resistant to more dewormer when the chicks are older because while the chicks were in their eggs they had been treated with dewormer?
Rotate wormers to prevent resistance to one particular wormer in the future. I've used quite a few wormers. I now regularly use valbazen and safeguard in rotation without any resistance problems...zimectrin gold or valbazen against tapeworms.

I think I read somewhere someone asking if the eggs of hens being dewormed could be hatched. I'd like to know the answer to this because if they can, the eggs wouldn't be wasted.

Also, I read that the eggs, during the deworming, can be fed back to the chickens but my question is, wouldn't that make the length of time for not eating eggs longer because the eggs treated with the dewormer would be putting dewormer back into the chicken?

LOL Was that clear as mud? Thanks.
I see no reason why eggs cant be hatched during or after worming.
You're correct about extending the withdrawal period if eggs are fed back to the chickens. More importantly the wormer residue in the eggs could help build worm resistance to that particular wormer when used again in the future. It's best to toss eggs in the garbage.

I see no reason why eggs cant be hatched during or after worming.
You're correct about extending the withdrawal period if eggs are fed back to the chickens. More importantly the wormer residue in the eggs could help build worm resistance to that particular wormer when used again in the future. It's best to toss eggs in the garbage.

Hmm, if I hatched the eggs, what would be your best guess at the chicks having/getting worms resistant to the dewormer?

LOL That was an awkward question for me to ask.

What I meant is do you think the worms the chicks would get would be resistant to more dewormer when the chicks are older because while the chicks were in their eggs they had been treated with dewormer?

Back
Top Bottom