Question about distended bellies/ egg yolk peritonitis/ ascites

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by roz, Jun 27, 2011.

1. roz

roz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    MA
    So I started searching everywhere on BYC for distended abdomens when I notice we had a problem with it. A lot of what I found talked about egg yolk peritonitis and ascites. My question is, what are the odds that all 10 out of 10 hens have egg yolk peritonitis or ascites? I cant imagine that it would be the cause of every one of my girls' belly issues, but could I be wrong? The bellies were first noticed when I discovered lice, we treated them, lice went away, but distended abdomens stayed. We lost one who had laid 3 soft shell eggs in 3 days, another got sick after getting an egg shell stuck inside after laying a shelless egg, and in caring for her we discovered she had worms when she expelled the shell along with a load of roundworms followed by a rubber egg. We wormed them with piperazine a week ago today, was loading them up on acv, molasses, and some herbal concoctions and probiotics I'd read about a while back. We got our verm-x today so now I am treating them with an herbal broad spectrum wormer. A couple of days ago I sprayed the entire coop with a lice/mite spray just in case mites could be the culprit, and I will be scrubbing and possibly spraying again tomorrow, but could mites cause the belly issue? I'm just really confused. Everytime I fix something I think it's going to alleviate the belly problem but it doesnt. Are my girls destined to live the rest of their lives with inflated bellies? Out of the 9 we have, 7 of them are about a year old, 1 is about 1.5 years old, and the last is about 3.5 years old.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. roz

roz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    MA
    Thanks for the links! After looking over everything, the there are a couple of diseases that might be possible, but nothing seems to stand out as an "aha". I dont want to over medicate them, but I'm wondering if it is egg drop syndrome or gut rut (although we do not have a crowded flock, and I dont think they have unsanitary conditions) as well as one other disease, I think I remember antibiotics working. That is the only thing left to try. Could mites be causing all my problems with swollen abdomens? Every night when I got lock up my flock, I quickly shine a flashlight onto the walls and dont see any, so I'm guessing it isnt a problem, but I'm willing to consider anything at this point.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by