1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question about does and kids

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Smoky73, May 27, 2008.

1. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    I wonder, last year, I had a doe that had triplets, but, after a week, the one got laid on and died.

Are goats able to feed triplets pretty easily? I have a toggenburg/Boer cross nanny who is probably going to have triplets (at least twins) by looking at the size of her in a few weeks. She doesnt have a huge bag like a dairy goat though.
    I am concerned I will need to bottle feed a kid and have had poor luck with that in the past once they get used to feed on mom, they do not want to accept a bottle.

Anyone have any input?

2. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    if she has triplelets.get 1 an put it on the bottle if you dont think she will let 3 kids nurse.i had a goat get killed years ago.an she had twin billys a few days old.an we put them on the bottle an my neice raised them.

3. penelope77

penelope77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2008
    northeast oklahoma
    i personally would watch the doe and kids and see how they do. you can tell pretty quick if one isn't getting enough. there are plenty of goats that have multiples and raise them all just fine. i prefer to let nature do it's thing and only step in when i need to. that's just me though.

Last edited: May 27, 2008
  4. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    I had a doe that had triplets. The last baby was very small. The doe was very friendly and easy to handle. I would go out to the barn twice a day or more and take away the other babies and let the little one nurse without any competition. Soon the little one knew the routine and would nurse quickly. After a few weeks I only had to hold the doe and just the little one would come and nurse. The other two knew they were not going to get anything until the little one had finished. This way worked great for me and the goat family.

5. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    Thanks for the reponses. I will probably try to keep the other two back while the smaller one feeds if I notice someone not getting enough. Like I said, she hasn't had them yet, but she is so big already with a few weeks left, I would not be surprised to see her having three. I actually thought she would be having them last week, as she has started to bag, but we did not put the male in with her till like the second week in January. I just do NOT want to milk anyone if I do not need to, and the kids do not want to drink milk replacer once they have had the real thing.[​IMG]

6. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    I have a doe that kidded with Quads and they are all still on the momma doing great and she is a Nigerian Dwarf. I just keep a eye on them and if I feel 1 isnt getting enough I take a bottle out...didnt have any problems getting them to take a bottle either. I use either goats milk or cows milk...I dont use replacer as it causes lots of problems and its just not worth it. My quads will be 2 mths old the 5th of June ...only 1 is still small but he is catching up quick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by