1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question about dogs medical issues

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by I have WHAT in my yard?, Nov 7, 2008.

1. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    This is the place for off-topic topics right??

I have a friend who rescued a great dane and the dog has a big scar where she was spayed, but she also has a big scar around her back end under her tail. She seems like she has low muscle tone in her back legs. The vet said she was healthy, but I have my doubts. Can anyone offer any ideas what that second scar could be from? It runs from her anus (can I say that?) to the base of her tail.....

2. adoptedbyachicken

adoptedbyachicken Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

How about 'Other pets and Livestock'? [​IMG]

That sounds to me more like a traumatic injury than a surgery. Maybe she has been hit by a car or such in the past, and that might explain the weakness behind too.

3. conroy

conroy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Yes I agree I'm thinking injury that could explain poor muscle tone in legs as well.

4. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

That's exactly what I thought - hit by a car at some point, maybe. I saw an injury/surgery like that on one of the Animal Planet shows.

5. I have WHAT in my yard?

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    Thanks for moving this! I talked her into taking the dog to another vet.

6. texasgirl

texasgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    South Texas
    There is no reason she can't be a completely healthy dog just because she has a scar on her rear. Even with less muscle tone that doesn't make her unhealthy IMO. Why find a new vet?

7. I have WHAT in my yard?

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    The only vet report she got was from the vet trying to get some one to take the dog. Who turns out not to actually have been a vet only a "I once worked at a vet."

The dog is really perking up and seems like she may be able to get strength in her hind legs. Like maybe she was crate kept too long....

8. conroy

conroy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    That could be...maybe with some regular exercise she'll regain strength in her back legs.

9. mamaKate

mamaKate Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    SE MO
    Breeding Great Danes takes a great deal of expertise. If she came from a back yard breeder or puppy mill, the leg problem could be genetic. Poorly bred Danes can still be terrific pets. They're just more fragile than a lab or a mutt. Actually, all Danes are a little on the fragile side. Their feelings are very sensitive and they don't handle cold well. They're also susceptible to food allergies. The personality makes it worthwile, though. It's alot like having a hundred pound four-year-old with big teeth. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by