Question about dogs with bloody diarrhea? Graphic description, sorry!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by chicken_china_mom, Nov 3, 2009.

1. chicken_china_mom

chicken_china_mom Crazy for Cochins

Apr 24, 2009
    Tab, Indiana
    I've been having issues with fleas all summer and into the fall. We frontline our dogs and cats but it doesn't seem to be helping like it should. I don't know if the fleas are what is causing our current problem or not, but for the last few months we've had several dogs and a few of the cats develop bloody diarrea. Everytime we would try to track down who was pooping it out, it would stop and we couldn't tell for sure. Well, my male chihuahua has been losing weight and today we noticed a dark brown crust around his butt. Then he had an accident on the floor and it was pure red. Then our lab mix walked into the dining room and had an accident right in front of my younger DD and she screamed and I came running to find that the dog had pooped out a bloody mess that had the consistency of pureed raspberries. As we cleaned it up we noticed worms in it, big worms. I figured large roundworms. I am out out of dewormer right now, but I will get some. Upon returning to my chihuahua's mess to clean that up we found worms in his mess too. To complicate the entire situation I have a neighbor that apparently is losing his mind and has suddenly turned against all the surrounding neighbors and we suspect that he has been putting rat poison in my yard because we lost my little 3 lb chihuahua is august after she bled out. I asked the vet what she thought it was, as I was thinking parasites or something viral, but she said no, it had all the appearances of rat poisoning and she was positive that is what it was. So now we are super wary when our dogs are outside. Our mini daschaund has had bouts of this bloody diarrhea too, though his poop is solid right now. My girl chihuahua is fine too. So I am clueless as to what this could be. Does anyone have any ideas? If I didn't still owe my vet $350 for the emergency care of my chihhuahua that died, I'd take my dogs in to see her, but I am broke and have to pay that bill off first. If someone knows something I can do here at home, or some advice, please let me know. Thank you.

2. KotaDVM

KotaDVM Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2009
    You need to have your dogs seen asap. If they are having bloody diarrhea they can become dehydrated very quickly and from your description I would think it sounds like Hemorrhagic GastroEnteritis.

http://vetmedicine.about.com/cs/dogdiseasesh/a/HGEindogs.htm

For clients I work with that cannot pay upfront, we highly recommend opening a Care Credit account. It takes only a few minutes to set up and you can get your animals taken care of immediately.

http://www.carecredit.com/

3. HenPen

HenPen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    New Hampshire
    I agree they need to be seen but CareCredit like any other credit is something you must be approved for and many people get denied....Call around to vets near by and explain the situation and see if someone will work out a payment plan if you get denied for CareCredit.

4. Knight Hawk Ranch

Knight Hawk Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2007
    Labelle, Florida
    For the dogs that have intestional worms you can buy dewormer at the feed store.
    If you dogs have massive loads of hookworms (you can't see these and they get them from fleas), it will cause bloody diahrea.
    The larger worms, if they look like spaghetti are round worms (strongles) and if flat, are tape worms. The feed store will have wormer that should take care of the hooks and round worms.

Since you have had problems with fleas, that is were your worm infestation has come from.

I would keep a close eye on the dogs when they are outside with the problem of the neighbor.

5. blue fire

blue fire Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I would think it would most likely be worms. If you truly don't want to see the vet then you could treat it as worms, but I would take mine to the vet just to make sure it is nothing too serious.

6. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Yes, it could be worms, maybe you can get just their stool checked first before running the entire household to the vet's?

7. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    But if your neighbor has been throwing rat poison to them, you need to counteract that. If that's what's been going on, he's been dosing them occasionally, from the history of the bleeding. See if they like greens, mix it with some bacon grease or something. Daily rations. They are rich in vitamin K1 that is needed to counteract the warfarin. If they have not been poisoned, its not going to hurt them. But it sure make funky looking poo.

8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

What about coccidiosis?

9. chicken_china_mom

chicken_china_mom Crazy for Cochins

Apr 24, 2009
    Tab, Indiana
    Quote:By greens do you mean like spinach, lettuce, collards, what kind exactly? And would it work if I fed it to them in the form of homemade dog biscuits? Maybe mix in some bacon grease and spinach along with the other ingedients that I usually add (parsley, garlic powder, chicken gizzards)? And how much do I feed a dog to make sure they are getting enough, or is there never too much? We plan to put cameras outside, but that will have to wait til tax season because we just don't have the money to spare right now, especially not with the vet bills and other bills we've had to pay this year.

The worms we saw I am fairly certain are large roundworms, though hookworms could be in there too. It was a gross mess and I wasn't exactly searching through it for more than one type of worm. This morning my chi boy pooped solid, no blood. I'll have to ask my kids to keep an eye on the lab mix while I am at work, see if she is pottying solid again. Last night's accident was the first time we saw anything wrong with her. I'll check the local vets, see if anyone will do open credit. I know there is one vet that I WILL NOT take my animals too. She has already killed one of my dogs and apparently other people in the area have horror stories about her as well. So I need to check vets. The really good one that we like is the one that we currently owe money too. I get paid tomorrow and I will see about getting a bottle at the feed store. Out of curiosity, are the kinds at the feed store better than what I can pick up in shopping stores like WalMart? I won't use cheap ones like Hatz or 8-in-1 cause they don't do a darn thing in my opinion. I forget the name of the one I got last time, but I'll have to go get another bottle. I'll recognize it on site. However, I can't treat cats with it. Does anyone recommend a good one for cats?

10. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    I would call the police and make a report................

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by