Question about double yoker chick? Sad ending

barnyardmommy

Songster
7 Years
Aug 21, 2012
Suffolk VA
I just had a double yoke egg to hatch. It was on day 20. Only 1 of the yoke's developed into a chick., the other one quit really early in incubation. This chick is HUGE. It's bigger than my week old chicks. Is this normal when only one chick develops? It was in a batch of 20 mixed breed eggs that I put in the incubator, So I don't know what breed the chicken is, but it's egg was smaller than some of the other eggs. Let me repeat "this chick is huge"

Last edited:
Altho I get them from time to time I have never tried to incubate a double yolked egg so dont know much about it. Would love to see pics of the chick and I will watch the thread and see what info u get about this as I find this very interesting. I always thought they wouldnt hatch or u would get siamese twin chicks or somthing crazy. Thats super cool u got a chick to hatch from one.

As far as I know this is very unusual. When one of the embryos dies the other usually dies too. Actually most people who incubate double yolk eggs have not surviving chick, though I do know of one member here who hatched twins. Please please please post pics! I want to see it! Can you tell us more about this? When did the first one die, did you candle and what did you see?

I started out with 2 double yoke eggs. One had both embryos developing until about day 8, then both embryos developed blood rings. I candled the egg to show my mom what a double yoke egg looked like when it was developing, and that was when I discovered that it had quit. This egg had the 2 embryos side by side at the big end of the egg. The second egg had 2 embryos developing until about day 6. This egg had 1 embryo at the big end with an air cell, the other embryo was at the pointy end. The embryo at the big end of the egg was the one that made it thru to hatch. When it hatched there was an air cell at both ends of the egg.

Last edited:
Did it hatch by itself or did you need to help it?

I had to help it out. It pipped but then nothing more for about 18 hours. So I picked away just a little of the shell around the pip, to make sure it was getting enough air. It was very wet, and had a lot of yellow gunk on it.

Don't you have pics? Sorry, I'm just very interested in this story.

I'm going to post pic's later today when my daughter gets home from school. I'm a complete idiot when it comes to posting pictures on the computer.

Cool cant wait. What an interesting story we can all learn from.
pop.gif

Back
Top Bottom