Question about Double Yolks.....?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ShanCarl1971, Aug 21, 2011.

1. ShanCarl1971

ShanCarl1971 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2011
    If a hen lays a double yolk egg (first egg ever), is there a tendency to continue to lay double yolks, or is it just an occasional occurance??

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    It is common when the hen first starts laying. It does not usually continue.

3. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    It does happen more often in the 1st timers but the continued propencity to continue to layer DBL yokers depends more on breed than age.

4. MichenerFarm

MichenerFarm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2011
    The Wild West
    I've had several of my new layers lay double yolkers. From what I have read & what people have told me it is not anything to be concerned about.

5. countrygirl1

countrygirl1 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2011
    Queensland, Australia
    My older girls sometimes lay a double yolker.

6. mikensara

mikensara Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2011
    New York
    we got our first double yolker yesterday and that egg was double the size we normally get so i was thrilled and showed it off at the bbq we went to yesterday i know the simple joys in life had me excited [​IMG]

7. ShanCarl1971

Apr 23, 2011
    Thanks guys! I was just curious. I wasn't really concerned about it, just didn't know if a hen that layed one had the propencity to keep doing it. It was very exciting for my very first egg to be double yolk!! I got eggs number 2 and 3 this morning, both small and white, and still very exciting! I guess now would be a great time to get my nest boxes built!! LOL Those cardboard boxes won't last very long!!

8. ShanCarl1971

Apr 23, 2011
    Quote:Funny what gets us excited, isn't it??? LOL My husband asked me if I was going to post my pics of the egg on my Facebook, and I said definitely not!! I already get ragged on enough.... not going there with the chickens and eggs!! LOL Posting here helps me get it out of my system without the extra teasing!! I'm really enjoying having my chickens, and it's great to have a place to talk about them without the funny looks![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by