1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

question about dry hatch

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bald k9, Aug 4, 2011.

1. bald k9

bald k9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    Rural Edwardsville
    Hello one more question, I started up the incubator to see if it works ,I put water in and turned it on, and the temp was solid for four days, then I started reading about dry hatch and it seems to work well with marans eggs , so I took the water out, and now the temp seems to go fom 101 to 99 but it stays between that, is this normal or will the moisture from the eggs ,help with a bit of moisture to help with temp changes, thanks again PS The eggs are not in yet,lol

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

Its the mass of the water that changed it. http://cmfarm.us/thermalmass.html
    With eggs in there it will be back to stable. 99 to 101 would hatch eggs fine though.

3. bald k9

bald k9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    Rural Edwardsville
    whewwww thanks!

4. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    I can fit 4 qt size jars of water to stabilize the temp. Depending on the sedign of the incubator you use, you can also put in jars of water. I went to dry incubation when the "normal" level of humidity with filled wells prevented any loss of water from the eggs. I was also surprized by how much water gets absorbed into the styrofoam. Took a few days to dry out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by