Question about Dry Incubation?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jungleexplorer, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Jungleexplorer

Jungleexplorer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2012
    Abilene, Texas
    My Coop
    I am going to try the dry incubation method for my next batch of chicken eggs. I have a few question I need answers to.

1. After the 24 hour settling period for shipped eggs, how long should I wait after I put the eggs in the incubator before I turn the automatic turner on?

2. I live in a dry desert area, so I will have to add water to increase humidity. What is the minimum and maximum internal humidity levels I should try to stay between during the dry incubation period for days 1 to 18 and 19 to 21?

3. On day 18, should I take the eggs out of the turner and lay them on their sides, keep them upright by placing them in half eggs cartons, or just turn the turner off and leave them in it?

4. If my chicks hatch over a few days, how long can I leave the first hatchlings in the incubator without water and food while I wait for the other to hatch and dry off?

Thanks for the help.

2. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    I live in Arizona, I did the dry methods ( was 16% without water) until lockdown. I added water, it went up 70% I got four baby chickies !! I cannot see why you can go ahead and put the eggs in the incubator now. I left my eggs in the carton for the first 18 day, then I took them out and set them up right on a towel. I layed them side by side ( big end up with towel ) ) for support. I left my chickies in the incubator over night so they get dry and fluffy. they did fine.

3. rmh0508

rmh0508 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    Engadine, MI
    No expert here and I have only incubated a couple of times but here goes:
    1. I think as long as they have set still for a minimum of 12 hrs them you can put them right in the turner and turn it on.
    2. There is a link here somewhere to dry incubation but I believe it is no less then 20%, and for lock down I think it is at least 65%
    3. I wouldn't leave them in the turner but the carton or on their sides is fine, whichever you prefer. A little tip for you: get some of that foam-like shelf lining and but it on the bottom of the bator it will make cleanup easier
    4. I believe this one is 3 days, may only be 2 though (someone please correct me). I have noticed that when one egg starts to hatch then the rest follow along really quickly. Mine normally are all out within 24hrs

Like I said I am no expert and there is an article (check in the learning center) on dry incubation. Good luck to you and your chickies!

4. Jungleexplorer

Jan 19, 2012
    Abilene, Texas
    My Coop
    Thanks. This my second try. I only hatched one out of 20 eggs last time using the wet method. Hope I get better results this time.

5. Jungleexplorer

Jan 19, 2012
    Abilene, Texas
    My Coop
    Okay, I started my eggs yesterday after 48 hours of letting my incubator (hova-bator 1588 forced air) stabilize at 99.6 degrees. But today it is reading 100.7. Is this too hot for a forced air incubator?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  6. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    you are ok !!! few times mine went up to 103 ! I turned it down a little. I consider 104 is too high. Room temps or weather can change the temperatures. So 100.7 is safe !!

7. ssellis

ssellis Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2011
    South Carolina
    I am doing dry incubation also.my temp is between 99.5-102my humidity is staying between 30-32 no water added yet. it is my understanding we wait till day 18 to ad water am i right

8. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    Yep at lockdown raise your humidity to 60-65%, after your first hatch it will go up higher. I was at 58% this morning and after the first one hatched it went to 71%. I kept the humidity between 25 and thirty for the first 18 days and am doing ok. I have 4 hatched and three pips on day 20 so my temp must be a little high.

9. Jungleexplorer

Jan 19, 2012
    Abilene, Texas
    My Coop
    Thanks for the info. How many eggs are you incubating in all? Lets us know what your percentage is on this hatch, please. Did you leave the eggs in the turner, take them out and lay them on their side or put them in something to keep them upright?

10. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    jungleexplorer I have 5 hatched and 6 pips right now out of 20 eggs but one pip is half way down the shell so I don't know how well thats going to work but the chick is moving in side the shell so maybe. I'm using a brinsea eco 20 with 20 eggs and a hygrometer so there really wasn't enough room to lay the eggs on their sides so i left them in the egg cartons standing up. I usually only hatch about 12 so I lay them down for lockdown but this way is working as well.
    I set 21 eggs and had one clear at day10 so not too bad.This is the 3rd time for me using these humidity levels and the first two times I got 10 chicks out of 12 set so not bad and the first time was on shipped eggs. I'll let you know my hatch rate on these eggs.Oh and these are all white rocks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by