Question about dubbing and 4-H

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Kennicuttfarms, Jul 11, 2010.

1. Kennicuttfarms

Kennicuttfarms Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2009
    Overton
    This will be my oldest son's first year of showing chickens in 4-H. He is taking a pair of Old english Self blues. Everything that I have read about showing old english game birds said to "dub the combs on roosters". I was wondering if anyone knew if this was something that need to be done for showing in 4-h too. I know it is necessary and even required in the bigger poultry shows. He really doesn't want to dub his rooster, he likes the way he looks with the comb, but if it is something that needs to be done so he can show the bird then we probably need to get it done. Any help on this issue is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Lisa

2. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    It would vary from show to show I suppose. Many 4-H shows are judged by people who aren't actually judges & who often are not aware of show standards. Other 4-H shows may hire a judge & instruct the judge to adhere to the standards.
    I judge a lot of fairs/4-H shows & unless instructed otherwise I usually point out that in an open show the bird would need to be dubbed & place the bird as if it were.
    You might try contacting the person in charge of the show & see what they require.

1 person likes this.
  3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    As NYREDS said..

Chris

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  4. Kennicuttfarms

Kennicuttfarms Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2009
    Overton
    Thank you! I will definitely be trying to get a hold of whoever is in charge of our poultry show.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by