Question about d'Uccle feet

elmo

Crowing
14 Years
May 23, 2009
DFW
I got some d'Uccle hatching eggs to slip under a broody and all five hatched last Friday. The chicks are lively and adorable with their little muffs and feathered feet. As I was checking each chick over before they settled in under their hen for the night, I noticed that many of them had matted dirt in their foot feathers from running around and scratching in the dirt/grass all day.

Is there any special care I should give to their feet because of their feathering? Should I be giving them foot baths to keep the feathers clean? I'm not so much concerned about appearance as health.

They should be fine. As long a you are not wanting them to look like they are ready to go to a show 24/7 I dont think it really matters. Is the pen really muddy though? If they are just little baby chicks mud could caue a problem but other than that i think they will be fine.

Nope, the pen isn't muddy. I have sand in my runs, and a chicken tractor that I let each hen and her brood spend time in separately. They've been digging energetically all over the place, though.

Thanks for the advice! I appreciate it. We have one half d"Uccle hen already and wanted more because she is so sweet. She only has a single feather on each leg, though.

Back
Top Bottom