Question about d'Uccle feet

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by elmo, May 12, 2010.

1. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    I got some d'Uccle hatching eggs to slip under a broody and all five hatched last Friday. The chicks are lively and adorable with their little muffs and feathered feet. As I was checking each chick over before they settled in under their hen for the night, I noticed that many of them had matted dirt in their foot feathers from running around and scratching in the dirt/grass all day.

Is there any special care I should give to their feet because of their feathering? Should I be giving them foot baths to keep the feathers clean? I'm not so much concerned about appearance as health.

2. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    No they should be fine. I have some silkies and a d uccle chick and they are fine.

3. americana-chick

americana-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    They should be fine. As long a you are not wanting them to look like they are ready to go to a show 24/7 I dont think it really matters. Is the pen really muddy though? If they are just little baby chicks mud could caue a problem but other than that i think they will be fine.

4. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Nope, the pen isn't muddy. I have sand in my runs, and a chicken tractor that I let each hen and her brood spend time in separately. They've been digging energetically all over the place, though.

Thanks for the advice! I appreciate it. We have one half d"Uccle hen already and wanted more because she is so sweet. She only has a single feather on each leg, though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by