question about duck egg fertility

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by showjumper_girl2002, Jun 27, 2011.

1. showjumper_girl2002

showjumper_girl2002 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Florida
    our muscovy hen had 14 eggs in which 4 hatched. about a week after they hatched she started laying eggs again. 4 are about 5 days old and 1 is 2 days old. is it too soon after her first hatch for these to be fertile? when do you start seeing veins when you candle, a week after they're laid or a week after they're in an incubator? i want to get them in a bator soon if there's a chance they're fertile because she's not laying on them and brooding. any ideas?

2. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    she started laying a week after they hatched....wasn't she caring for them and teaching them things. My 2 Muscovies had lots of babies, 23 out of 25 eggs and 13 out of 14 eggs..and one set is about 2 weeks old and one set is 1 week old and they are still raising their babies...I am totally new to the raising of muscovies, but everyone tells me they are very fertile and I can see that in my numbers...

3. showjumper_girl2002

showjumper_girl2002 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Florida
    we took the ducklings 2 days after they hatched because she wasn't caring for them well, 9 hatched and only 4 survived, she wasn't staying with and caring for them so we stepped in. she started laying the eggs that are in the nest now a week after we took the ducklings.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by