1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question about duck eggs

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by CricketR4, Mar 5, 2013.

1. CricketR4

CricketR4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2013
    Mebane, NC
    I have Indian Runners and had read somewhere that the eggs don't have as long a shelf life for eating as chicken eggs. After spending at least an hour searching this entire site, I can't seem to find anything on storing duck eggs and for how long they last. I store my chicken eggs on the counter at room temp, but use them usually within a week at the most. Duck eggs have been stored the same way, but I'm not sure if I should try to use them up faster, or if they'll be ok for a week or so on the counter. Any ideas? Also, I only use my duck eggs for baking, so I prefer them to be room temp.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  2. Chickie Mama

Chickie Mama Out Of The Brooder

I have Mallard Ducks and we eat the eggs. I have not noticed any difference in shelf life. We have chickens as well. Since most people only want to buy my chicken eggs, we tend to have lots of duck eggs... I can't tell you exactly how long they last, but I haven't come across a bad one yet. We refrigerate the eggs if there is a surplus.

3. christiethorn1

christiethorn1 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2013
    Upstate NY
    I just began (as in last week) with some chicks and Cayuga ducklings. Do you eat the duck eggs the same way as chicken eggs? I planned on it but some people giving me a funny look about eating duck eggs.....

4. CricketR4

Feb 11, 2013
    Mebane, NC
    Yep, you can. I prefer them in baked goods, my hubby likes them either fried, scrambled, or in baked goods. I notice a slight taste difference, again, my hubby doesn't notice any difference...

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    The duck eggs are richer than chicken eggs, so they taste too strong for some folks. I didn't prefer to eat them just as eggs, but for baking, especially brownies, they simply can't be beat!

6. cubbysan

cubbysan Chillin' With My Peeps

I notice sometimes when I use duck eggs for baking, it tastes a little "eggy". I recently read that 1 duck egg equals 2 chicken eggs when baking. Can anyone please confirm this? My ducks have just started laying again, and I have already gotten an abundance that I need to start using.

7. CricketR4

Feb 11, 2013
    Mebane, NC
    Not sure, but if it seems a bit too much, google to find out how much a large chicken egg is (i.e. 2 TBS) and then just take a duck egg, beat it slightly and measure out that much for your recipe. If that makes it less eggy, then, there you go.

8. cubbysan

cubbysan Chillin' With My Peeps

I never thought to beat it to measure it. Thanks,

9. erinszoo

erinszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    North Central Oklahoma
    The only time I notice a difference in taste is when they eggs get laid where it's wet and then the smell seems to penetrate the shell and makes the eggs taste, ... kind of fishy ... at least to me. My husband doesn't seem to notice at all. We like to eat turkey eggs though. They make really creamy scrambled eggs. I tend to bake with my duck eggs too but only use 2 if it calls for 3 eggs. I don't know about longevity either but ours seem to go funky faster than the chicken eggs. Maybe someone on the duck thread knows the answer. This is only our second year with ducks and soon after our ducks started laying last year, they were all killed by opposums except one and she was so traumatized that she quit laying. She started again recently after we got new ducks.

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I also just eyeball the size of the eggs. I have bantam hens up to ducks, so all egg quantities are just "close enough" around here. Never had a problem with baked goods tasting too eggy, but then again we're very non-particular eaters!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by