Question about ducks and ponds

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by bell1774, Jun 9, 2016.

1. bell1774

bell1774 Just Hatched

May 28, 2016
    Lexington,NC
    I know I've already asked this question but I would like to know if you can put ducks (about 2 1/2 months) in a pond full of turtles. Now they are snapping turtles and we arnt putting them in just yet but they are snapping turtles in the pond and I think they will hurt them. I am questionable because ducks are in there a lot baby's too. My ducks are crested runners

Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
  2. sunshine ducky

sunshine ducky Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2012
    Illinois
    Good Evening!

Putting snapping turtles where your ducks cool off and swim wouldn't be such a good idea, your snapping turtles will probably be territorial with your ducks and they might harm the ducks form coming in their area. Snapping turtles would especially be not a good idea for your ducklings for sure;whenever the snapping turtles feel like eating, the defenseless duckling would be an obvious Choice to eat unfortunately. It's your decision but I'm very Concered for your baby ducklings.All of your animals should thrive and not be afraid of their surroundings.

Have a good rest of your night!
    Sunshine Ducky

3. Doulos

Doulos Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2016
    There are videos on YouTube of snapping turtles killing full grown ducks. I looked it up because my professor said that there used to be some ducks in a nearby pond, but they were all eaten over time.

4. crawfordsgirls

crawfordsgirls Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2016
    Hi I have mallard duck eggs and when I got them today Thursday they are half way developed and kicking how do I know when to lockdown and stop turning will turning while hatching kill them

5. sunshine ducky

sunshine ducky Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2012
    Illinois
    Hi!
    Are you using a machine in the encubator that turns the eggs? If so I would stop it just in case they might get hurt. And besides turning is used for developing the chicks and it sounds like your mallards are fully developed and are ready to hatch, so I would turn it off,but it's totally up to you

Hopes this help
    Sunshine ducky

6. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee

Just do a quick candling each day... when they are getting ready to hatch the air cell will dip down drastically on one side tilting it... when you see that, lock them down... :)

7. crawfordsgirls

crawfordsgirls Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2016
    My ducks are so tiny though. All of them have a little black dot when I candle then and it appears to be their head. And I don't really get how to tell when they are in hatch mode. Will they still pop if the Turner is on.

8. bell1774

bell1774 Just Hatched

May 28, 2016
    Lexington,NC
    Thanks very helpful

9. bell1774

bell1774 Just Hatched

May 28, 2016
    Lexington,NC
    What do you suggest for me to do. The pool we have is getting to small and whenever they try to dive they hit their heads. It also gets dirty within the day we fill it up with more water because they poop in it so much. It's also hard to maintain it being clean.

10. dotknott

dotknott Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop

Sorry, that's just ducks for you. The snappers would be appreciative of the easy meals if you put them in the pond. Just keep a small kiddie pool of water and refill it every other day for bathing and provide fresh clean drinking water through other means.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by