question about ducks & chickens living together

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by imtc, Nov 18, 2010.

1. imtc

imtc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2008
    I am thinking of getting a couple of ducks. Currently I have 12 hens of various breeds which would range together with the ducks in my yard. My plan was to set up a raised pond area. My question.....is it too risky with chickens to have a pond (it would be the size of a garden tub...a little deeper than a kiddie pool)? I'm worried about the chickens falling in and drowning. Is that common?

2. Melinda35

Melinda35 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Texas
    My chickens and ducks get along great. I do not have water any deeper than about 3 - 4 inches for my ducks to play in. I do have water troughs for some calves that is about 2 - 3 feet deep. I have never had a chicken fall in and drown. I have seen them perch on the side and get a drink. I personally don't see any problem with it.

Have fun with the ducks. They have great personalities. I believe mine have conversations and sometimes I think they are talking about me! [​IMG]

3. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    as long as you have some bricks at one side for the chickens to step on and climb out it'll be ok...

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    My hens free range around our pond that's about three feet deep. The surface of the water is usually low enough they can't drink from it. We've never had a hen fall in, but did lose a turkey our first year here. Such a real bummer, and a wet full grown turkey weighs a ton to lift out of the water [​IMG] I have also had a pullet drown in a livestock water trough. So, I now have a "ladder" of some type in all my water containers. A depth of a foot or less, just have stones or bricks where any explorer could get herself out of the water. You'll love ducks!

5. chicksbestfriend

chicksbestfriend Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I have 9 ducks and well over 70 hens and they all exist wonderfully together. I also have a raised pond, and several little kiddie pools in the yard for the ducks and water stations all over the yard for the chickens. I have lost a few pullets in the kiddie pool (less than 2 months old), and several times have found a pullet swimming in the pond, (not by choice), but for the most part, I have had this set up for the past 6 yrs. and the incident rate has been really low. Even though I have water stations everywhere, the chickens do enjoy getting their water source from the pools and pond. I have since staged rocks inside and outside of the pools and pond to make it easier for the ducks to get in and out and hopefully a preventive measure to keep another pullet from drowning. I too, keep the water levels high so their are no accidents with the pullets falling into the water while trying to drink. Never experienced a full grown hen drowning though. I hope you do get your ducks and enjoy the heck out of them, they are wonderful.

6. imtc

imtc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2008
    also.....if I add small gold fish, would the ducks eat them? (probably a dumb question...lol)

7. 6chicks&aduck

6chicks&aduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    S E North Dakota
    we had got 4 ducklings and 6 pullets together at a sale , the ducks all turned out to b drakes and got really aggressive to the chickens !sadly we parted w the ducks

8. BlackBrookPoultry

BlackBrookPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Western Wisconsin
    I think the ducks would eat the goldfish. I know my call ducks would.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by