Question about Ducks + Duck Coop

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ChampionAlex, Dec 28, 2012.

1. ChampionAlex

ChampionAlex Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2012
    CT
    I have a 7 ft n half by 5 ft and half with 6 ft high duck pen. How many ducks do you think is suitable for my pen. Please give me your opinion and why. Thanks will appreciate the feedback.

2. ppimf

ppimf Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2012
    ellis kansas
    i wouldn't put more than 3 for sure, most people i seen use 10 to 20 sq ft per bird, and u have 37.5sq ft. a pair would be very happy, remember u need a house in there as well to keep them out of the weather. so you'll lose that area as well. hope someone with more knowelage will step in. on my 2 nd year with ducks

3. ChampionAlex

May 22, 2012
    CT
    I see, well it is kind of a house already its borded up I self made it myself. I have one area though where the weather can get in though.

4. ppimf

ppimf Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2012
    ellis kansas
    it does need to be were No animal can dig, jump, fly in to get your ducks. ducks make a great meal for pedators. i lock mine up every night before dark in a coop that no animal can get it. then let them out in the am. if the snow can fly around and get in it then it is not good. they need a place to stay dry and warm out of the weather, so if u have that then thats good.

5. ChampionAlex

May 22, 2012
    CT
    Yeah I used to have a bigger coop 3 years ago I learned my lesson leaving them out one night 3 were dead. Out of 8.

6. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Have you done a search on the board? somewhere on here is a SQ ft recommendation, i have a 1/3 acre for 10 ducks and mine can also fly out and range the farm, so i cannot offer much in the way of advice on exact pen sizing i just know based on my own flock and the fact i have had the flock into the teens the more room the better.

Ducks turn areas in mud quite quickly. What breed are you speaking of? i only have Muscovy so mine are pretty big, at least the boys lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by