Question about EE and egg color

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenlorena, Nov 14, 2010.

1. chickenlorena

chickenlorena Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2010
    Is there a link between egg color and leg color? A friend mentioned that green legged EEs lay green eggs and that slate legged EEs lay blue eggs. Is there any truth in that? This is my first time raising chickens and we have a EE pullet with slate legs.

2. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    [​IMG] i dont know but i will be waitching this post.

3. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    I don't think there is a link between leg color and egg color. I have two (possibly three) Ameraucanas that are laying. They all have slate legs and they are laying green eggs. Still hoping for a blue egg layer in the bunch.

4. donnavee

donnavee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Central NC
    Doubt it, I have 2 EE's with green legs - one lays an olive colored egg and the other lays (when she favors us with an egg) a cream colored egg.

5. CoffeeCow

CoffeeCow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    Washington, NC
    all 5 of my ee pullets have slate colored legs...
    one lays green, one lays blue, one lays brown, and 2 havent started laying yet...
    (hurry up ladies)

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Mine have all different leg colors and all lay blue eggs.

7. chickenlorena

chickenlorena Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2010
    Thank's everyone! I guess my friend is wrong [​IMG] I can't wait what color of eggs my EE will lay!

8. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    I don't really believe that. I have an EE that has dark green legs and lays a green egg...and one with slate legs that lays a light brown egg. Since they are basically a 'mutt' chicken theres is no standard to their egg color. Each chicken will lay a suprise! lol thats one of the reasons I love them so much.

9. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    I have read on several other posts the colored eggs vs the brown eggs are related to the type of comb, not the color of legs. If I remember correctly the pea comb means a colored egg either blue or green, any other type comb means brown/cream eggs. I don't know this for myself, just passing along info.

10. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    both of mine have pea combs...lol and i get green and brown eggs. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by