Question about EE's

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Smartie_Pants, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    I know that EE's are a mixed breed, a mutt. So when you breed two of them together, you can get anything. So what are the chances of getting a chick that looks like the parent?

2. birdsofparadise

birdsofparadise Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    North Kohala, Hawaii
    Dittos. If muffs and tuffs are the determining factor (along with egg color), can you add in Spangled Russian Orloff genes? Should tails or rumpies be preferred? Anyone out try this?

3. chilling in muscadine

chilling in muscadine { I love being disfunctual }

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    Quote:I have hatched out many ee's from my trio and some are the color of the parents and some have a totaly different color but they all have the muffs. The roo I have I have never hatched any of his offspring and my girls lay green eggs so I am curious to see what color my new pullets lay. Maybe I'll get some blue layers in there. I don't know if the pullets take that trait from there mother or not. I shouldn't have long to wait to see. They are getting laying age. Some of the colors of the biddies I got though you would never think they came from my original trio. Cool hugh!

4. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    It is cool. I wonder what would happen if you took a white EE and bred it with another bird. Would any of the offspring get the white and then be covered by the other bird's pattern?

Like, say, a white EE crossed with a barred rock. Could you create a barred rock color but still get the muff, beard, and egg color? How does that work?

5. chilling in muscadine

chilling in muscadine { I love being disfunctual }

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    I don't know about and ee's and a bared rock but one of my silkies got nailed by one of my game birds{oops}. One of her chicks came out with yellow legs instead of black with feathers on it feet but its feathering out in the game colors. So I now officially have a silkie/game.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by