1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

question about egg carton incubating

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by amyquilt, Dec 9, 2008.

1. amyquilt

amyquilt Serama Mama

May 17, 2008
    Amarillo, TX
    When using the egg carton method to incubate....does the pointy end of the egg go up or down? What if a couple of the eggs are very hard to determine a pointy end vs a non pointy end?

Thanks!

2. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Big end of the egg goes up, pointy end down.

ETA: I have no idea about torpedo eggs!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2008
  3. amyquilt

amyquilt Serama Mama

May 17, 2008
    Amarillo, TX
    Whew...I'm ok then. Last night, all of a sudden I thought, "OMG what if I have them wrong?" lol

Thanks!

4. fresheggs4u

fresheggs4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2007
    i've used this method the last three hatches. Works really well.

I do clean out the opne shells as they hatch. Make your best call on the shape of the eggs. I had the same trouble. Last hatch I set 42 eggs and 39 hatched. And all the chicks were healthy and made it. they are now about 3 months old.

Good luck!

5. CountryMom

CountryMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    South Texas
    Amy,
    I put them pointy side down. I have done more quail egg hatches this way than chickens. I have never had one pip on the wrong side. However, I have read where it has happened here. I am about to put in some eggs into the hatching bator today. I use a paper mache carton (big flat one cut to the amount of eggs) and I cut the bottoms out of each egg hole. I lost a lot of eggs in my first ever attempt to hatch when the first few chicks that hatched rolled the pipped eggs over so the pips that were on top were now on the bottom. So that is why I went to the egg carton method. Maybe someone else here could give you experience with the wrong side pip.

6. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    What day are the eggs on ?? Have you candled yet ? When candling you should be able to see the air sac, I would put the air sac end up calling it the big end !!

You should be able to candle and see the air sac at an early stage.

7. amyquilt

amyquilt Serama Mama

May 17, 2008
    Amarillo, TX
    Today is day 3. Didn't plan to candle until day 12. Should I candle before then??

8. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    I would only candle the ones that you cant tell what end is the big end, Like i said you should be able to see the air sac and that should be the big end (then end that goes up)

No point in candling the other, wait for day 12ish on those, but that way you will know what end is up.

If you cant see the air sac in the eggs I would leave them on there side in till you candle again (in a few days to check again) and find out for sure, Then when you find out you can put them in the carton.

9. amyquilt

amyquilt Serama Mama

May 17, 2008
    Amarillo, TX
    Quote:I'll candle the two "torpedos" tonight, then. Thanks for the tip!

10. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    No problem, let me know how it goes !!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by