question about "egg chute"

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by bchev, Oct 19, 2008.

1. bchev

bchev New Egg

Oct 19, 2008
    south of boston
    i just started building a new coop and i was wondering if anyone has ever built a chute under their nesting boxes so that the eggs could collect in a basket outside the coop. just wondering if anyone has tried anything like this or knows any pros and cons about it. thanks.

2. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

well a pro would be cleaner eggs and the hens couldn't get and eat them.... a con would be it would have to be good or you could get a lot of cracked eggs.

3. eggchute

eggchute New Egg

Feb 19, 2009
    hahahahahahahahaahahahahaha
    hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

I dunno about an egg chute, but if that doesn't work you can always have a lemon party!!!

hahahahahahahaha
    ahahahahahahahahahah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

huh? Must be my cold medicine, because I don't understand the lemon party reference.

OP, I have seen some nest boxes that were angled in such a way they rolled to the back (which was the outside of the coop) where a long door opened that the person collecting could reach into to get them. I don't know that them rolling into a waiting basket would work as many would get cracked unless there was some way to cushion them or to check often. But the idea intrigues me!

5. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    You can make a roll out nest!

I bet you could google for plans

you just slighly slant the box (you can use artifical turf for nest box so egg will roll out)
    the wall behind box is a bit higher so egg will roll out!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by