Question about egg colors/breeding (probably a stupid question)

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by LukeandAli, Sep 26, 2012.

1. LukeandAli

LukeandAli Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2011
    Carver, Oregon
    Let me start of by saying that I have no experience whatsoever with breeding chickens (I have my first eggs from my flock in the incubator right now [​IMG]), but, I've been wondering about a possible breeding pair and what color eggs I would get from their offspring.

If one were to breed a leghorn with a marans/barnevelder/welsummer or other chocolate egger (in an attempt to get high egg production from the coveted chocolate egging birds), what color eggs would one get? Would they be the average brown? White? Chocolate?

I know this is probably a silly question, [​IMG] but, I'm genuinely curious. TIA!

2. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Most likely a medium brown color.
    Egg colors are hard to predict in my opinion, when you mix breeds that lay two different colored eggs.

3. LukeandAli

LukeandAli Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2011
    Carver, Oregon
    Thanks! I have leghorns in the incubator, so, it will be a while before I'm able to give it a try, but, I think I will. What could it hurt? If nothing else, I'll get an average brown egg in high production. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by