1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question about egg fertility

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Glenmar, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    I have 2 coops. Each has 7 hens and one rooster. I am hoping to get fertile eggs this spring to hatch. Some hens are 2 yrs old this year and some are 1 yr olds. The roosters are 8 mos old. My problem is that only about 1 in 10 are fertile. Will this pick up closer to spring? I want to hatch some eggs in early March.

thanks

2. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    High Springs, FL
    Your roosters are young and fertility does tend to decrease a bit in the winter. It should get better in the spring :)

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I agree. It should get better. I have not noticed it, but some people have posted that their chicken's fertility drops in the winter, though others say theirs does not.

Often mature hens will not accept immature roosters. At 8 months, your roosters should be gettting pretty close to being accepted if that is the problem. I've had some roosters (not many to be sure) that most of my mature hens would accept at 15 weeks, and some at 8 months that some would not accept. The different chicken's personality enters into it.

I do think most of the eggs will be fertile in another couple of months when it starts to warm up. Good luck!!!

4. Glenmar

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    Thanks. That's what I was hoping.

5. lucky123

lucky123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Cullman,Al
    I have all young chickens, with roosters around 6 to 7 months old. I have three breeding pens, around 1 rooster to three hens, with around a 90% fertility. I would think even though you have more hens to rooster the fetility should be greater than 10%. What breeds are they?

6. Glenmar

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    One coop (the one that I want to hatch from) is Buff Orpingtons and two Amerucana hens.
    The rooster is an Orp. The second coop has hens of many different breeds. They are not laying as much yet. The only ones that I will want to hatch out of that group are the Amerucanas. All others would be barnyard mix.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by