Question about egg laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dandydoodle, Oct 19, 2011.

1. dandydoodle

dandydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    I have 4 Orpingtons and 3 EEs, The Orpingtons are about a year and 2 months and the EEs are about a year old. Everyone was laying almost everyday over the summer. Now I am lucky if I get one egg. One of my Orpingtons molted and I think she is done but, no one else looks like they molted. Do you think the change of season has made everyone quit laying? Will it be like this all winter. There hasn't been any chances in there life, except they got a new roo but, the egg problem had started before the roo so I know that is not it. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, [​IMG]
    MIchelle

2. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    Yes it is the molt season. They will restart laying anywhere from 2 months to 10 months from now. I would suggest culling those who take 10 months to resume.

3. dandydoodle

dandydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    So they molt for 2 to 10 months every year? Does that mean they might only lay for 2 months out of the year. I can tell one molted but, I can't tell that the others have does that mean they probably will soon. Do they stop laying before they actually start molting? Thanks for the help. [​IMG]

4. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    my girls molted for a month or so and i was getting like one egg a day but their done now and laying has started and stayed steady for 2 weeks now.. Im just up the road from you, so I think we will have winter layers.. I had never heard the 10 month thing wow.. yea she would have to go... unless she was home hatched 10 years ago then she earned her old age home.. hahha

5. LovinChicknFarmn

LovinChicknFarmn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2011
    North Carolina
    It's partially the time of year too. The days are shorter. Shorter daylight hours, fewer eggs. It'll probably stay slower through winter as the days are shorter. They're okay, though. Don't worry.

6. Warrprincess688

Warrprincess688 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Danvers MA
    I dont think the 10 month is true, but sometimes they take the winter off as a vacation. Chickens can molt up to 3 months, depending on how bad a moult they have. If it starts to get cold and the days get shorter then they naturally slow down. If you start to see an abnormal amount of feathers around then there starting to moult. The one that has been moulting and has pretty much finished will start soon. Sometimes a rooster can add stress, so if they stopped for a couple days and then you added him he could be causing them stress if he keeps trying to breed, from what i've seen. They may be slow for now but come spring youll have just as many eggs again. Also did you check to see if they have any parasites such as lice or mites? Just another thing to look for.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by