Question about egg safety?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hennyannie, Aug 5, 2011.

1. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    A friend of mine got 6 dozen eggs from me last night, he got distracted when he got home and left them in the truck.
    He found the eggs when he got to work and put them in the fridge. He calls from work and wants to know if i think they are safe
    to eat.They were in the truck from about 9pm to about 6:30am. Our temps were a bit cooler last night, but the eggs had been in
    my fridge when he got them.Some of the locals are telling them they will be fine, just make sure they are cooked well. What do you
    think?

2. darin367

darin367 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2010
    Shelton, Wa.
    they're fine

3. ChestnutRidge

ChestnutRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Western Virginia
    They are absolutely fine. Some people keep their eggs on the kitchen counter rather than the fridge.

4. hennyannie

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    This was what I was thinking, but I just wanted to be sure.

5. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Quote:Good question!

6. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    They came out of a 107 degree chicken. As far as what he should with the eggs,fry,scramble, bake, poach,boil.......get my point.

7. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

In Europe, they don't wash their eggs. This keeps a protective coating intact so that they don't require refrigeration, at all.
    I'm sure the eggs are fine.

8. hennyannie

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    Thank you all so much. I ate eggs fresh from the 107 degree hen my whole life, but I just didn't want to take a chance on being wrong in this case
    with the weather being so hot and the eggs having been in the refridgerator.
    Will feel better telling him to eat them knowing I ask all of you first!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by