Question about egg size Buffs

ladyh

Songster
8 Years
Mar 9, 2015
New Mexico
I have Buff Orpington hens that I got from Meyer hatchery. They are now 7 months and started laying at 5 months 3 weeks.. How long before they start laying large eggs? Now they are so small. Meyer doesn't have a clue. Thanks.

They’ll lay regular size eggs. It may just take a while for them to get “up to size”
Do you have a clue about when? I have had other breeds and they never have taking so long to lay their normal size eggs... I want to get them broody before it gets cold. I don't think I can even incubate when they are this size ?...even though the Roos are mounting and breeding them?

Do you have a clue about when? I have had other breeds and they never have taking so long to lay their normal size eggs... I want to get them broody before it gets cold. I don't think I can even incubate when they are this size ?...even though the Roos are mounting and breeding them?
I’m not exactly sure... probably a few more weeks? They might just gradually get bigger. Could you post a picture of how big the difference is? (Like next to a regular size egg?

Yes black australorp vs buff egg

Attachments

• BA egg vs BO egg.jpg
    BA egg vs BO egg.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 1
Thanks... Meyer hatchery didn't have a clue. They basically said wait until they are a year old. I do have experience in hatching and raising chickens and sadden they can't help.

Back
Top Bottom