Question about egg turner??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Rare Feathers Farm, Jan 31, 2009.

1. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

Okay, so I'm frantically shopping for an egg turner for my hova-bator. This bator is an OLDY but goodie...it's the square, forced air model.

So my questions are...do I need an expansion ring to use the auto egg turner with my incubator? The top is much flatter than the new, bubbly-looking bators...

Also, when it's day 18-ish...do I unplug the turner? Or do I need to take it out & put the eggs back in to hatch? I would think that would be messy, if they hatched on the turner??

Thanks!

Oh and BTW...if anyone has a turner for me, for cheap, please let me know! I'm still shopping and need it ASAP!

2. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    All I can tell you is, I know your to take them out of the turner on day 18. Take the turner out of the bator. I like to put them in egg crates. It makes less of a mess and they don't roll around.

I don't know about the turner. Maybe you could contact the hova-bator company and see if they have any. Is there a hova-bater company? I have a lg so I don't know anything about the bator, sorry.

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    From pics I have seen of that one (the 1602?) they look like the LG's to me. So I don't think you would need an expansion ring.

For the turner, you could do either, take it out or just turn it off. The turner won't hurt them if it is not moving.

4. Rare Feathers Farm

thanks!

5. RHewitt

RHewitt Chillin' With My Peeps

The instructions for the incubators say to take the turner out and lay the eggs on the wire screen floor. I also use the paper carton method and have had very good success. Good luck!

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  6. Rare Feathers Farm

Thanks, I just ordered one directly from GFQ--as they were the cheapest...although I'll probably have to hand-turn the eggs for a day or two, depending on how long the shipping takes. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by