1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question about egg turner

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by NEHorse, Feb 15, 2015.

1. NEHorse

NEHorse Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2012
    This is my first time using an egg turner. Iam just over two weeks in (some duck, some chicken and I know they have different hatch times, have a seperate bator set up for hatching) but I have noticed that a few of the eggs seem to have stopped progressing and moving. So I got looking into it more and realize that the turner instructions say to place the small en down. So, now I am curious. Does it litterally mean the smallest tip? I assumed it just meant up and down, and I didnt pay attention to which end of the egg was top or bottom...

Easier question... should the air space in the egg be up or down?

I didn't think the air space was significant until the time of hatching...

2. maxsgoldens

maxsgoldens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2015
    west Yorkshire, UK
    The air space must always be at the top. If not it will become damaged or displaced and the egg will not develop properly

3. NEHorse

Jun 27, 2012
    Yikes, thank you! I will go adjust them all right now. Hopefully the remaining live ones will still develop okay.

4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    X2 the air sac should always be set to the top. So pointy end down and fat end up. Incubating the wrong way around can cause chicks to develop in the wrong position so when it comes to hatch time look out for any that pip at the wrong end of the egg.

Good luck :fl

5. NEHorse

Jun 27, 2012
    Thank you! If they do pip at the wrong end do I need to intervene?

6. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Sometimes they need help, sometimes they don't. I know that doesn't really answer your question. Hopefully they'll have enough time to reposition themselves and will hatch correctly.

7. maxsgoldens

maxsgoldens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2015
    west Yorkshire, UK
    If they pip at the wrong end they will most likely suffocate

8. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop

Here is an excellent article that has a whole section on what action to take if you do have a malpositioned chick https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching

Usually a malpositioned chick will do its internal and external pip in one go, so as long as you can see the pip hole it should be ok for oxygen. They usually need more time to be ready to hatch as they have done 2 hatching processes in one go that could usually take upto 48 hours with a normal chick. Time and more time is the key.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by