Question about egg-turners?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by _Randall_, Nov 28, 2009.

1. _Randall_

_Randall_ Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    I've about got my strategy for building a homemade incubator, and I'm wanting to add in an automatic egg turner.....specifically one of these: http://www.amazon.com/1610-Automatic-Turner-Universal-Quail/dp/B001IDW3WG Anybody ever done this, and if so, my main question is.....Are these made where they are "hooked up to a drive mechanism" in the store-bought bator that it's made for, or am I right in seeing a motorized unit made on the turner that only needs 120v applied, and it does it's thing without being in the intended "store bought" bator?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2009
  2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

They turn on their own about every half hour. Just plug in the cord & the motor & timer take over. I have these in my homemade unit.

3. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    The turner is a seperate unit. The cord goes directly from the 110 plug in to the drive motor. The bators are made with a groove in the foam for the cord to come out of.

Matt

4. _Randall_

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    Y'all are terrific. I love this site because of the wealth of knowledge [​IMG]
    Main reason I'm asking...........This is what I'm asking the wife to get me for Christmas. Was gonna ask for a store-bought bator with fan kit and turner. But, I've learned enough to be confident in building my own. Thank y'all very much!!

5. canter6

canter6 Cooped up

Oct 12, 2009
    Dacula,GA.
    Well, Merry Christmas!

My automatic egg turner is my right hand. [​IMG]
    I use it once or twice a day when I'm hatching.

The biggest problem with any "Automatic turner" integration with home built incubators is...the deminsions don't fit. You can't build a fine incubator out of a cooler, small refrigerator, but can't put the (IMHO WORTHLESS) thing in there.
    The $45-$60 price tag is another downside.

I would ask the for the whole store bought overpriced desktop bator with the turbo fan and auto turner. You really should include the $15-$20 quail cups/racks. Then forget about the home made bator.

That's just me.

6. _Randall_

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    I'm building the incubator after I get the turner. That way, I know it will fit. The inner liner of the bator will be built out of aluminum sheet metal, and then insulated tightly around the outside with 1" foil-backed styrofoam sheet (that's used to insulate houses). I have access to material, a sheet metal shear, and sheet metal brakes to build it. Pop rivets will put the inner housing together. It will be similar to these plans: http://cgi.ebay.com/2-Tray-Hatching-Egg-Incubator-Hatcher-D-I-Y-Plans_W0QQitemZ270487233608QQcategoryZ46292QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m263QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%252BC%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%252BDDSIC%26otn%3D10%26ps%3D63
    The
    main reason I want a turner is because there will be times I'm not here to turn the eggs (2-3 times a day), and I don't want to depend on anybody else doing it.

7. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Make sure to add a fan, then that plan will work with those turners, myself I would check for used GQF Sportsman. Have found some for the price of the new cheap table top incubator with the turner and fans.

8. _Randall_

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    Quote:Yeah, I'm gonna go all the way.........with fan, turner, and all. This is just a hobby for me, and don't plan to get "commercial" with it any time soon. I figure if I can get 120 quail eggs inside this incubator, that will be a milestone that far exceeds where I am now [​IMG] The way I see it, I'll only have a fraction of what a new setup costs in the homemade unit, plus the pride of having built it myself.

9. canter6

canter6 Cooped up

Oct 12, 2009
    Dacula,GA.
    Quote:If you are going to get the turner and build the bator around it, then you should be fine.
    I tend to refit coolers and such, but if you are going to build a bator around something, then best of luck.

I must have been a broody hen in a previous life, because there is something very rewarding to me about breaking open the bator and stirring the eggs up.
    That's just me. [​IMG]
    Auto egg turners rarely enter my mind.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by