Question about eggs in yard

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mrsmaonaigh, Sep 24, 2010.

1. mrsmaonaigh

mrsmaonaigh Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    SE Georgia
    I found another nest of eggs in the yard. So the girls are going back into the pen for a few days. There were 11 eggs out there. Is it possible for the heat outside to incubate the eggs? Ok don't laugh at me if that is a dumb question. LOL! The girls are not broody so I'm not worried about that. I tried to candle some and there looks like there may be a dark spot about the size of a pea in some of the eggs. I really suck at this candling thing though so I can't really say for sure what I'm looking at. We are setting up an incubator so it is possible for us to (hopefully) hatch some eggs although we weren't planning to do so until the spring. So all of you chicken experts. Would you try to hatch them or would you try to eat them?

2. mrsmaonaigh

Sep 2, 2010
    SE Georgia
    I should probably mention that it is still hot as heck down here. No fall weather yet for us.

3. kasey08

kasey08 Aunt Kasey's Farm

Mar 29, 2010
    Scottsboro, AL
    i think they may hatch i dont see why not! as for eating them i dont think i would lol

4. Ukyou

Ukyou Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2010
    I wouldn't eat them either, I would be afraid of eating Balut. (Boiled 9 day old fertilized eggs, so you are eating a partially formed chick)[​IMG]

5. charmedbychickens

charmedbychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Ohio
    I recently had the same problem. I found a nest of 12 eggs. It's still in the upper 80's and 90's here. I decided I would hardboil all them. When I dumped them in the water, any that showed even the slightest bit of floating I tossed. We've eaten all of them and they were good!

6. mrsmaonaigh

Sep 2, 2010
    SE Georgia
    Here is a picture of what 6 of them look like.

[​IMG]

7. lynxs1981

lynxs1981 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Quote:Yes, eggs start to develop over 72 degrees. Most likely unsuccessful hatches since they need constant 99.5

8. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

We don't waste much around here. I doubt they'd successfully finish incubation, so I would feed them to the dogs.
    I've only ever cracked one that was either sat on by the broody OR started incubation in the summer heat. I knew it was "iffy" so I was cracking it into the dog's pan to be on the safe side.

It kinda looked like a little worm with a big eyeball --- pic here if you want to click pic

9. mrsmaonaigh

Sep 2, 2010
    SE Georgia
    *sigh* so they are probably no good? We don't have a dog so not an option there. I could still just pick it out right? Or give it a shot in the incubator and see what happens. We've got 3 dozen eggs in the fridge as it is so it wouldn't be a big waste. [​IMG]

10. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:I don't think I could pick it out and then finish scrambling the eggs....it was surrounded in a little blood sack and welll.....I'd just KNOW

You could definitely try incubating them!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by