Question about eggs pipping in egg carton

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ChickNLittle, Apr 16, 2008.

1. ChickNLittle

ChickNLittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Folkston, Georgia
    This is the first time I am letting my eggs hatch from an egg carton. They are starting to pip now and I have a question. When they hatch out, won't they get hurt falling off the egg carton? Or falling from the rest of the eggs in the carton that haven't hatched? Also, what if they fall between theother eggs or something, can't they smother? Is it just as easy for them to hatch in the carton, as it is out of the carton on the floor of the bator? I know, I'm a worry wart. Just wanted to see what some of you had to say. [​IMG]

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Should be fine, the height of the eggs on a carton isn't that great. Best of luck! The only "danger" in hatching in a carton is if the chick is upside down in breech position and pips at the bottom.

3. FrontPorchIndiana

FrontPorchIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Indiana
    I just hatched seven and none were hurt. I did have one get a leg stuck between the carton and the glass of water I had in there but wasn't injured. Just made a lot of noise and scared me to death. So keep that in mind and try not to have anything too close to the carton.

4. wilds of pa

wilds of pa Chillin' With My Peeps

Id wouldnt bother, just set them the way the mfg recommends to hatch eggs, no fuss no frills...
    seems like a waste of worry using the egg carton idea..

Just my 2 cents on the eggcarton thing...

Hope your hatch goes good which ever way you choose [​IMG]

Charlie

Last edited: Apr 16, 2008
  5. Wooden_Pony

Wooden_Pony Chillin' With My Peeps

I am going to try the egg carton method this time around as well.

When they hatch out, won't they get hurt falling off the egg carton? Or falling from the rest of the eggs in the carton that haven't hatched?

I do not see how them falling from the carton would be any different then from them falling out of the bowl that I have full of marbles and water that helps keep my humditiy up. Or the platform that my thermometer sits on in my still air hatcher. They really are tough little things. If you want add some of that nice shelf liner to the floor of your incubator it has an added cushion to it that way they are not falling just onto the wire.

Also, what if they fall between the other eggs or something, can't they smother?

I guess that could be possiable. From what I have read from someone on here who uses this method all the time I never once heard him talk about a chick being smothered by the egg carton hatching method. I have heard of him talking about a chick rolling the other eggs around and causing the chicks that have just pipped or getting ready to pip to die in their eggs. His hatch rates have improved since he started using this method.

Other's talk about how much easier it is to clean up using this method as well.

[​IMG] Good luck with your hatch it will be fine!![​IMG]

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I haven't had any get stuck or hurt using the cartons....my hatch rates for shipped eggs have improved a lot using the cartons. I've done several batches of eggs this way and am doing 2 more right now.

7. tnkinhunting

tnkinhunting Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2008
    East Tennessee
    The only problem I had was a couple still attached to the shell - those I did take out of the carton and lay on their sides until the chicks separated from them. Other than that, it was quite amazing how they zipped the tops off the eggs and hopped out!

8. ChickNLittle

Mar 22, 2008
    Folkston, Georgia
    Thank you everybody. I appreciate all your imput. Guess I'll let them hatch in the carton this time and see what happens. I'll keep you posted. [​IMG]

9. hiddenmagnolia

hiddenmagnolia Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    South Louisiana
    Used egg cartons for years. Works great every time. Never had one to die from falling out of the carton. Some people that let the hen hatch the eggs do so in nest that are not on the ground. When hatching is finished the hen will jump down and babies will follow her. Never had one die when it followed mom.

10. ChickNLittle

Mar 22, 2008
    Folkston, Georgia
    Wow magnolia, I can't believe it. The chicks jumped down. Knew I was worrying for nothing. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by