Question about eggs rocking

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Angsminizoo, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Angsminizoo

Angsminizoo Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2011
    Meade Co. Ky.
    I made a pretty bad mistake and forgot to write down or lost the date that I put these eggs into the incubator. I probably thought that I would remember, forgetting that my memory is bad [​IMG] Anyway, I do know that they are do "soon". I have about 3 that have been rocking A LOT the past 48 to 72 hours, but no pips. About how long from rocking to pipping? I have only hatched once before and I wrote the date down like I was supposed to so I didn't watch it as close as I am now to see rocking.

2. QuackerJackFarms

QuackerJackFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
    Mine will sometimes rock 4 days before hatching. If it were me I would candle to see if any have internally pipped and then go from there.

I have done this before. Trust me! lol.

1 person likes this.
  3. Angsminizoo

Jun 21, 2011
    Meade Co. Ky.
    I am afraid to handle them to much if it is close. Will it hurt if I candle and they are over 25 days?

4. QuackerJackFarms

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
    Ya know what? I just re-read my post. When I said "I have done this before", I was referring to setting eggs and forgetting the date. LOL.

Anyhoo- Here's the thing... we don't know if they're due today, or in a few days. Where is your humidity at right now? Because if you feel better about it you can just let them be and see what happens.

So it's kinda one of those things where.. we wanna know if they have internally pipped so we can time to the external pip.. but don't want to bother them.
    If you were to get your humidity up a little past where you want it.. like 75, you could sneak in there real quick, candle them, see if they've internally pipped and then you'll know you're needing to watch for external pip. Or you can just leave them be, get your humidity up to 70 and wait. It's really up to you.

Personally, I like to know what's going on because I'm an obsessive compulsive hatcher. lol.

5. Angsminizoo

Jun 21, 2011
    Meade Co. Ky.
    I did bump up my humity already so I think I will have a quick peek. I am obessessive about this bunch! [​IMG] Thank you! I am glad I am not the only one to not write down the date!

6. QuackerJackFarms

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
    Let me know what you find!!

7. Angsminizoo

Jun 21, 2011
    Meade Co. Ky.
    Well it doesn't look like I will have any Easter babies [​IMG]I didn't see any internal pips yet.

8. QuackerJackFarms

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
    Awww.. that's okay though. Did you see movement? Compare the air cells to the ones on Metzer farms to get an idea how far away they are. But if they're rockin' I bet they're positioning themselves for break through!

9. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I write the date on every egg I set, just in case I forget to log it in the calendar. I have forgotten before. I do 5-6 staggered batches at a time. I would totally candle those eggs. If I see internal pip, I place a small (1-2mm) hole in the air cell and move the egg to the high humidity hatcher.

10. Angsminizoo

Jun 21, 2011
    Meade Co. Ky.
    I must not know what an internal pip looks like because I had 4 externally pip yesterday! I am still waiting .... patiently [​IMG] for them to hatch!!!!! They are progressing just slowly. I still have nine more to pip, well if I am banking on 100% hatch rate [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by