Question about eggs through the mail

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LOPRFYLER, Jul 27, 2008.

1. LOPRFYLER

LOPRFYLER Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2008
    When I received eggs in mail earlier in the year, I always let them settle in my basement (60-65 degrees) for about a day before setting them. My last batch of eggs sat on my porch in the sun all afternoon (probably about 100 degrees) until I got off of work. I let them settle for a day, then put them in incubator. Seven days later when I candled them, I found nothing but a red ring in 1 out of 12 eggs. The rest were clear. I was wondering which would cause more damage... Letting them settle down to 60 degrees after setting on the porch at 100 degrees all afternoon or just going straight to the bator since they are already hot and sitting that way for 4 or 5 hours. I will be receiving some eggs this week and I wanted to do what's best to hatch these eggs. I know the whole situation is bad this time of year, but the person shipping me the eggs was going to just throw them out, so I thought I would try to hatch them.

2. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

I would guess that once they are hot you need to keep them hot.

But, did yours get so hot they cooked?

Can you set up a shaded delivery spot for this next one?

3. shortcake1806

shortcake1806 Sassy McSassington

Sep 11, 2007
    I'd say cooling them off would be worse than just putting them directly in the bator.

I think you should call and have the PO either hold your packages or ask them to call you if one arrives. That way your eggs won't be cooked when you get home.

4. LOPRFYLER

Jul 19, 2008
    They weren't cooked. I cracked them open and there was just a small white clump on the yolk alittle bigger than you see on a store bought egg. I just don't want it to happen again on my incoming troop.

5. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

wouldn't the "small white clump" be the fertilization spot?

6. LOPRFYLER

Jul 19, 2008
    Yep... My quess is that it started growing in the back of a hot mail truck. And that was probably before the mailman threw it into the back of the truck from ten feet away because he was in too big of a hurry to read the side if the box. OK, that probably didn't happen, I'm just letting off some steam. But somewhere in there the germ started and died shortly after. I think it was from letting them settle in my basement after getting too hot, but I was told that letting them settle was very important from all the jossling around in the mail.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by