Question about eggs under the hen

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cajunlizz, Aug 7, 2008.

1. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Should I turn these eggs myself daily ? OR just leave them alone . I DO NOT have an incubator , so I am trying to learn the pro's and con's on Hens doing all the work . lOL

2. Yogiman

Yogiman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    South Louisiana
    Liz,
    You do not have to do anything with the eggs under the hen. She knows exactly when and how often to turn them. She does all the work for you. Good luck on your hatch in this heat.

3. cajunlizz

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Quote:You from South Louisiana ? WHERE ? I am in Lafayette .

As you can tell , this is my 1st. time of allowing a broody hen to sit on eggs . NEED all the advice I can get .

4. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    [​IMG] Weren't you just saying you didn't want any babies? A couple of days ago? You had a thread about how you stopped the broody from being broody?

I'm so confused - I am going to pour a cup of coffee or something.

5. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:

6. Yogiman

Yogiman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    South Louisiana
    Yep, I'm down here and have been for all my life. I'm 70 miles west of you at Sulphur. We are neighbors! LOL Hey, neighbor!
    After your first hatch with a broody you probably will never want to use a bator again. I have 3 bators and wouldn't you know it, I have 3 broodies at the moment. That makes like 12 or 14 broody hens this year. Must be something in the water.
    Do you have your broody separated from the rest of the flock? If not you might want to move her so the other hens won't wreck havoc.

Wildsky wrote:
    I'm so confused - I am going to pour a cup of coffee or something.

Hey Sky, skip the coffe and do the "or something". I tried the coffee and it didn't work. LOL Besides, a woman reserves the right to change her mind. Right? Right!​

7. cajunlizz

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Quote:YES ... we thought the dunking had stopped her broody cycle , BUT like ooops , NOT SO . DH had ALWAYS said we would NOT raise chicks , or go thru the hatching process . WELL , GUESS WHAT ? This was totally his idea to start putting eggs under her . WOW .

DH said since we had bought 30 chicks that were a week old from local feedstore , it was to much trouble from that point to laying age . He said it was so much easier to buy them when they were closer to being laying age .
    WELL , he flat changed his mind . LOL [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

SO , pour yourself a cup of coffee and we both figure out WHY DH's change their minds SO QUICK . They all think thats the woman's job of changing their minds ...

Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
  8. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:YES ... we thought the dunking had stopped her broody cycle , BUT like ooops , NOT SO . DH had ALWAYS said we would NOT raise chicks , or go thru the hatching process . WELL , GUESS WHAT ? This was totally his idea to start putting eggs under her . WOW .

DH said since we had bought 30 chicks that were a week old from local feedstore , it was to much trouble from that point to laying age . He said it was so much easier to buy them when they were closer to being laying age .
    WELL , he flat changed his mind . LOL [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

SO , pour yourself a cup of coffee and we both figure out WHY DH's change their minds SO QUICK . They all think thats the woman's job of changing their minds ...

What about the hen DYING from dehydration? Did she change her mind as well?

9. cajunlizz

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Quote:Hey Sky, skip the coffe and do the "or something". I tried the coffee and it didn't work. LOL Besides, a woman reserves the right to change her mind. Right? Right!

I have NOT moved her or the eggs from the flock YET . since there are only 2 other hens that are laying right now , I figured she wouold not be to disturbed by them . BUT now that you asked that question , I just might have to MOVE HER and the eggs , because I AM expecting several of my pullets to begin laying ANY DAY NOW . They are like 18 - 20 weeks old and acting like they are getting interested in the nesting boxes ... Hmmmmmmmmm thanks for asking that question .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by