1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

question about eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bmchickens, Nov 16, 2008.

1. bmchickens

bmchickens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2008
    w.v.
    while preparing eggs for breakfast, the question of the white substance visible in eggs was raised.my theory is that it is seminal residue,because we know our hens are being bred. the wife doesn't agree. roll up your sleeves and jump in,the debate rages!![​IMG]

2. Hobbley_Farm

Hobbley_Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    Pilot Mountain, NC
    [​IMG]

i hope thats not it.

our eggs and the store bought (not fertile) look the same aside from colour of yolk

3. agnes_day

agnes_day Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    i was wondering this myself, but i didnt want to be the first to ask..
    is it really? i have to admit, that would gross me out, thinking that i was eating..that. [​IMG]

4. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    its just what holds the yolk in the middle of the egg.

Editied to add:
    CHALAZAE- Opaque ropes of egg white, the chalazae hold the yolk in the center of the egg. Like little anchors, they attach the yolk’s casing to the membrane lining the eggshell. The more prominent they are, the fresher the egg.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
  5. mama3chix

mama3chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    All my eggs are store bought,unless I make a trip to the country. that is good info willowcol, thanks [​IMG]

6. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

willowcol is right on. There are many parts to an egg. The white strings or bands are what hold the yolk in place towards the center of the egg. On fresh eggs this is more visible. Store bought eggs have sat around and already started deteriorating by the time you get them.

7. mlmadura

mlmadura Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    ms
    thank goodness!!! i was about to give up eggs!!! :eek:

8. bmchickens

bmchickens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2008
    w.v.
    O.K. If that's the case,where does the rest of it go,that which doesn't fertilize the egg? Think about it,that's the destination our creator intened for it to go to,isn't it?[​IMG]

9. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    Since it take only 1 s cell to fertilze a egg, I would guess that the rest would wait inside the hen until she is ready to lay again. So is why it takes a few weeks to know that a chicken that had been in a mixed pen but moved with a different Roo would be fertized by the new Roo.

10. agnes_day

agnes_day Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    so then, how much of the roosters "stuff" is actually in each egg???
    there, ill just come out and ask [​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by