1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

question about eggs

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jmantoo1, Apr 13, 2007.

1. jmantoo1

jmantoo1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    can you eat the eggs of chickens being treated with terramycin:yiipchick

2. Spydrworks

Spydrworks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2007
    So. California
    Teramyacin is a mild topical, so should be OK to eat the eggs.

3. chix

chix Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2007
    i've been told to wait a week. you may want to check with a vet or expert in your area.

4. JamesC

JamesC Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2007
    Terramycin is a broad spectrum antibiotic. If it's administered in the drinking water you should wait 2 weeks after the last treatment before consuming eggs. There may be a type that is in a cream for topical application but I have never seen that.

Whether or not you consume the eggs yourself during the withdrawal period is your choice, but they should not be sold to anyone until a two week period has elapsed.

James

5. Spydrworks

Mar 18, 2007
    So. California
    Quote:With me, it's just the opposite. I'm very familiar with the topical antibiotic ointment form of Terramyacin, but never heard of the oral form.

JFYI, the topical is generally used for eye irritations on dogs and cats and to protect the eyes from irritations like soap when these animals get baths. It's also been highly recommended for treating infections in and on amphibians, but sold under dog and cat supplies.

With that said...if it is an oral form of antibiotic, then yes, wait, but the topical is going to be benign to the eggs in comparison to an oral form of antibiotic.

6. JamesC

JamesC Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2007
    Well that explains it. I know zero about products for dogs, cats and amphibians. Chickens - I know something.
    Is topical ointment containing Terramycin a prescription product or over the counter? How would it compare to Polysporin ointment for example?

James

7. Spydrworks

Mar 18, 2007
    So. California
    Quote:Terramycin Ophthalmic Ointment is the actual name of the eye ointment. It is a clear gel like substance.

I think the best way to answer is...

Terramycin vs Polysporin (aka Bactracin) is like Terrarmycin Ophthalmic vs Bactracin Eye Ointment.

They are pretty much the same, minus the active ingredient. Terramycin and Polysporin are made for minor skin irritations and the others formulated for eye irritations.

The active ingredient in Terramycin is oxytetracycline.

I don't know what the active ingredient is in Polysporin.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by