Question About eggs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Horsefly, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Horsefly

Horsefly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    Louisiana
    I have a young duck that just started laying 2 or so weeks ago but has no access to a drake. I want to hatch some eggs this year so if I got a drake, how long would he have to be with her before the eggs are fertile? Thanks
    Also, my neighbor told me they won't eat duck eggs because they have higher cholesterol. Is this true?

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    I've heard that duck eggs have a little bit higher cholesterol, but are also higher in good stuff...

3. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Tell your neighbor that higher cholesterol in duck eggs will not raise cholesterol in humans. The body can only absorb 10% cholesterol from food. It makes 90% from excess sugar carbohydrates we eat. For years doctors kept on telling we should cut back on eggs, and now they know it is wrong.

4. Horsefly

Jan 11, 2010
    Louisiana
    That is interesting about the cholesterol. Anyone know about the fertility question?

5. Jen4

Jen4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
    People are so silly with the cholesterol thing, makes me mad and I try to explain to them that eggs ARE A NATURAL GOD GIVEN FOOD, so how can they be bad for you. I guess they could be if thats all you ate.

I have no clue about the fertility question...

6. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Anywhere from a few days to two weeks with the fertility once you know the drake is doing his thing.

7. jrobertson

jrobertson Robertson's Rare Poultry

Apr 24, 2010
    NW Alabama
    i have always been told: the rule for poultry is about three days to get in and up to three weeks to get out.

8. Horsefly

Jan 11, 2010
    Louisiana
    Thanks so much, I didn't know they would be fertile so soon. My neighbor has an extra drake so Im going to see if we can work something out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by