question about eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kushball21, Dec 18, 2011.

1. kushball21

kushball21 Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2011
    Harveys Lake, PA
    I do the deep litter method and once a week I mix it up and lay new pine shavings down. When I was mixing the litter today I found my 1st 2 eggs hidden in the litter in the corner of the coop under the nest boxes. They were both frozen and 1 was cracked. I tossed the cracked one. My question is, can I keep and eat the other one or should I toss it? Also how high should the nest boxes be? Here's a pix of 4 of the 8 nest boxes.

[​IMG]

2. glucke

glucke Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2011
    congratulations on your first eggs!
    i found some this morning and they were frozen. we do eat those eggs and toss the cracked ones. about the hight of your nesting boxes they look fine to me. put some golf balls in so your girls get the hint and make sure your roosting pole is a bit higher so they dont sleep in the nesting boxes.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
  3. kushball21

kushball21 Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2011
    Harveys Lake, PA
    thanks glucke!!! the roost is as high as the 2 x 4 running along the back wall. they all roost except the 4 silkies they sleep under the nest boxes on the right of the pix. oh i also have 2 golf balls in each of the nest boxes.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
  4. glucke

glucke Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2011
    that should be fine. my silkie also doesnt use the roosting pole and prefers to snuggle up in the corner. she also lays her eggs on the ground underneath the nesting boxes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by