Question about eggs!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by cskotek, Apr 9, 2012.

1. cskotek

cskotek Chillin' With My Peeps

Ok so I want to sell fertilized eggs, BUT after they are laid what should you do? Ive heard and seen diffrent things but my concern is not killing the fertile in the fertilized egg lol.
    Ive seen you should refridgerate them so they can be used in a later time. But since i would like to mail the eggs that would be hard because once they go from being cold to being the air temp wouldnt that mess up the egg?
    My dad says you should just clean them and keep them in a room temp area thats stable and not going from cold to hot or along those liness.
    And once I do go and mail them what should i do to make shure minimal shakeing is done??
    Any help would be amazing, I dont want to give messed up eggs to paying people! :)

2. QuackerJackFarms

QuackerJackFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
    There are going to be a LOT of people comment on the shipping portion of this question..LOL.

Don't store them in the ice box, but in a cool room. Someone will come along and give you a temp for that because I don't know.

As a buyer I have had the best luck and will buy again from people who wrap in this way:

Eggs individually bubble wrapped
    Sitting air cell up in a small box stuffed with bubble wrap/newspaper/plastic bags etc.
    The smaller box put in a bigger box stuffed with the same stuff.
    Marked "Fragile Hatching eggs" "Do not X-ray".. etc on the box.

Most people don't want them cleaned with water, but instead access dirt rubbed off.

I get the best hatch rates from this style shipping.

3. cskotek

Awesome, i figured there would be something writtin on the box. other then the fragile and do not xray, is their any other major things, i didnt know of the xray one o.o
    And i guess ill be waiting for a temp or google to find it
    thank you!

4. QuackerJackFarms

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
    Someone will be along shortly to answer that for you. :) I think it's something like 65 degrees. And then you still turn them one a day in the carton as well.

In the morning other peeps will come along. In fact, I'll have a couple come over and give you their opinion on shipped eggs.

5. QuackerJackFarms

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
    I just thought of one more thing:

I've seen ads up in the auction where people want to practice their shipping method so they have the buyer pay for shipping and they give them 6 or 10 eggs. Then they have to give their feedback to the seller/you.

6. cskotek

Thank you! with everything, i had found a google pdf file on the temp and how to keep the eggs etc. The next thing is to well, collect the eggs in the AM and get bubble wrap and other packageing :p Thanks again! Also any other info anyone has is still greatly appricated!

7. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    If you want to ship across state lines legally, you will need to be NPIP inspected.

I collect eggs in the AM and they get wiped with a terry towel and laid on their sides on a shelf in a room with stable temperatures. 50 degrees is about right. A fridge is too cold.

Mark each egg with the breed and date of collection. Put an X on the opposite side. I use pencil to mark.

I turn hatching eggs 3 times a day, just like the ones in the incubator. I don't send out eggs more than 2 days old.

8. QuackerJackFarms

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
    So Oregon, you HAVE to be NPIP to ship? So the people I've bought eggs from that weren't NPIP are basically breaking the law?

And if so.. are they doing that since it's not really enforced?

Just curious! Thanks.

9. DuckLover3

DuckLover3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2012
    Marlborough, CT
    Do NOT clean the eggs if you want them to hatch! You can brush them off with a towel, but don't get them wet or anything, and I don't suggest putting them in the fridge. They can survive about 7 days without being incubated and they won't mature during that time, so I would suggest mailing them as soon as they are laid, or if you can't do that, just leave them at room temperature and mail them within a few days.

10. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Lots of people ship eggs and aren't NPIP. Their choice.

Just be aware that most states have laws that require "health papers" on any eggs or poultry coming into their state. NPIP certificates count as "health papers". Some states require more. Virginia wants testing for Bird Flu.

I don't know how you would get caught. We are not required to declare what is in a postal package and packages are not (generally) opened and inspected. Still make up your own mind about how legally you prefer to operate.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by